Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Dying Dwarf Yaupon Holly Help...

Posted by brownthumb65 8B Tallahassee (naturalmeds37@hotmail.com) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 15:55

Hi Everyone,

The local grocery store marked down this poor plant in a 1 gallon container to .48!

It has a few green leaves still left on it. I see some new ones trying to come in, but mostly it is BARE. It is still alive I am just not sure how to repot it the best way.

I do not want to put it in the ground just yet, because I am in the middle of some other projects in my yard.

When I repot it should I just stick it in a bigger container and leave it be or is it wise to give it a little "trim" over all?

If you would like a picture I could TRY to do that. (I'm not good at posting photos, but I can put a link into a photobucket)

Any advice is warmly appreciated!

Thanks!

Halime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Dying Dwarf Yaupon Holly Help...

If the plant is already dying, it means it is already stressed so repotting it may put it over the edge. Why do you think you need to repot it? Totally root bound, or...?

You might want to put it in a nice shady area, make sure it has sufficient water, and see if it recovers before putting it through the stress of a repot.

Still, $0.48 isn't a big investment, so if you need to repot it, go for it!

Holly

o
pics..re: repotting dying dwarf yaupon holly help...

I'm a new gardener and I like to do experiments, plus I felt bad for the little guy. The roots were extremely root bound unlike anything I've ever seen. All root hardly any soil.

What I need to know now is should I give it a pruning or not?
HELP anyone!

Here is the Photobuckets slideshow link

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc472/brownthumb65/?albumview=slideshow

Thanks,
Halime

Here is a link that might be useful: YAUPON

o

I think you can save that, and I would bare root it completely, prune out that big root and repot in a good mix either the gritty or 5-1-1. It is a healthy plant and is a real bargain, I am sure you can save it. Keep it in a protected place out of the sun and if you fertilize make it VERY weak. Most of the feeder roots will be lost and will have to regrow. I don't think you will need to reduce the foliage at this time. Al

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 22, 11 at 21:33

The foliage at branch ends is typical of plants growing in severely root-bound conditions, but the plant needs ALL the foliage it has to recover. Removing any foliage now, limits the plant's ability to make food, which limits its ability to make roots and back-bud.

I'm thinking that I would saw off the bottom of the root mass just below where that big root disappears back into the soil mass, and MAYBE sever the large root, depending on how much of the rootage would be distal to the cuts. I don't think I'd bare root it, but I'd make several vertical slits in the root mass, tease a little soil out of the roots & pot up a size and let the plant grow free for a year. You're going to have to straighten out the roots - whether you keep it in a container or put it in the ground, but I think I'd do it next spring.

Al

o

I just transplanted some artichoke a few weeks ago. When I transplanted them into a corse peat/perlite mix ph bllncd and they already not doing so good from where I got them. They where wilting even with spraying the foliage with miracle grow/water after transplanting. I then scooped some compost in an empty water bottle and added water and a tad of sugar and shaked. The very next day they where pointing up towards the sun doing great. Maybe the organic approach is proving itself.

o

Can someone give me an idea on WHEN I can put the plant out in the sun or do I just keep it in the shade until it gets a full head of leaves?

Thanks!
Halime

o

Hi alime,
At least until you start seeing new growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here