Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bag Gardening

Posted by jemsister none (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 15:57

Hello, I am new here (obviously). I've been slowly expanding my "garden," which up to this point had consisted of two large rubbermaid totes, and narrow flower bed (about 14 x >2'). This year I converted an old dresser into a plant bed. It's about 2.5W x 3.5L x 2D. I also filled one of the drawers with soil and planted mint (I heard mint should be contained).

I am experimenting with growing directly out of a soil bag. It's a 2 cubic bag of miracle grow potting soil. I planted a zucchini in it. Anyone have any experience with soil bag gardens? I'm hoping it works, since my container situation is extremely limited, so the bag idea is pretty convenient.

The dresser has a cherry tomato which I planted on its side to aid root development. I almost killed it once with inadequate protection during an overnight frost, but it's making a strong, sassy comeback, so I guess the roots are good and strong. I threw some cut flower mix at the bottom end of the box. I had good luck with this last year, so I decided to try it again. I think the dresser has room for one more thing. What would you plant next to a tomato plant? I was considering a second tomato plant, but I dunno. Haven't decided.

The flower bed has trellis peas and bush beans.

Anyway, the two totes and that one slot in the dresser are empty. I haven't decided what to fill them with. They need something, certainly. I was considering herbs in one of the totes. I live in northwestern washington, so weather is a challenge. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bag Gardening

You can grow anything you like in bags. Just grow whatever herbs or vegetables that you like the most. You can buy great garden bags from the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Bags

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here