Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5-1-1 under LED

Posted by Capoman 5a (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 16:01

Just a note to say that the 5-1-1 mix is working very well under LED lighting. I have lettuces and peppers growing very well. I am also using 6500K T5's to supplement the light of a 120W LED. I have peppers growing fruit as we speak.

It seems the advantage of Al Tapla's 5-1-1 mix seems especially relevant under LED. Reason being is that LED is very cool, and water retention seems to be more of an issue then under warmer lights such as HID (especially in a basement as I have going). I no longer have issues with fungi or overwatering/overfertilization that I had with commercial potting soil. It's difficult to over do either with this mix. Anyone attempting to grow under LED should consider this mix. I hope to try the gritty mix as well soon, although since my main focus is vegetables, I will most likely continue to use the 5-1-1 mix.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5-1-1 under LED

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 8, 11 at 18:59

Well bully for you (meant sincerely)! ;-) I'm really glad you are finding it works so well for you; and thanks for sharing your comments and observations with us.

AL

o

I agree... it's wonderful to hear so many success stories related to the more durable, free draining mediums! It really adds support to the concept! But even more so, it's nice to hear how happy the growers are! :-)

It's also good to know that the concept correlates well to cooler lighting, for those who grow under lights. Good information to share!

o

Thing is, in a cool basement under LED, I would often go two weeks or more between waterings. This created stagnation in the soil, and lack of gas exchange. I was getting salt build-up and having to flush the soil to get rid of salts and renew the air in the soils. The soil would crust or get fungi on top with such infrequent waterings.

I barerooted the plants and put them in 5-1-1, and they instantly responded without shock. Within a week they started a growth spurt, and plants look healthier. I also don't see any salt buildup either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here