Update and questions on Canteloupe.

rakin
9 years ago

Canteloupe in the middle with watermelons on both sides
{{gwi:30678}}

Sweet and early Cantaloupe next to holly berry
{{gwi:30679}}

And bush baby watermelon
{{gwi:30680}}I posted something about these containers before but could not locate it So I just started this new post.
FYI this is my first season with vegetables, and on a whim I started a few sweet and early cantaloupe as well as a few bush baby watermelons. I didn't know what to do with the cantaloupe as my containers were relatively small. (maybe 3 gallons). But I let my son plant them in a couple of extra pots. Well, like most of you I did not and still do not expect to get good results. But my son has been so excited about growing these that I have been diligently fertilizing and watering them anyway. I showed him how to self pollinate and every day he goes out to see if there are any new "girl" flowers. So far one cantaloupe has 2 definite and 3 more possible fruit. The other has 1 with a couple possibles. Although I am not sure how long they will survive, is there something that I can do to give these few a better chance at reaching full maturity? please excuse my photos. I used a holly berry next to the fruit because I didn't have a coin on me at the time, but I just wanted to snap a quick shot so that you all could see.

Comment (1)