Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning glories in containers.

Posted by Beth82 Zone 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 14 at 16:07

Hi!!! I got a question for anyone who has experience with this. I've been googling and kicking the idea of growing morning glories in a container and letting them grow up my deck. I've read so much information and Im wondering......If I grow them in containers and train them the way I want them to go and keep a close eye and get their seeds before they fall and spread should I be ok with doing this without having a huge takeover. Which is what I don't want.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning glories in containers.

Well it CAN be done. I wouldn't though, at least around here they're a nuisance. I suggest googling flowers that grow well in your area that have the vine effect.

This post was edited by norwoodn on Fri, May 2, 14 at 23:28

o
RE: Morning glories in containers.

Hi Beth - In zone 5 I haven't had a problem. I believe they are more invasive in zones that don't have a good, hard freeze.

If you are really concerned (I wouldn't mind a little invasiveness from my MGs) you could try a different vine?

Clematis should grow well on your deck and depending on how large you want the vine to grow, Dutchman's Pipe Vine would also do well (although they supposely stink - I just got mine so I can't confirm) there are also annual black eyed susan vines that are lovely! Just a few thoughts I have :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here