Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes in containers

Posted by fireduck 10a (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 16:10

Should I use Al's 5-1-1 for tomatoes...or is that too acidic? I have moderate success with Miracle Go potting mix...but trying the big indeterminate tomatoes in 15 gal containers (nursery pots).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes in containers

It's not too acidic. Growing in containers is different than growing in the ground. The plants will feed from the nutrients in water you give them which will have a higher pH than the mix. Growing in containers with the 511 mix is more akin to hydroponics.

o

I grow a monster Sun Gold in a 15-gallon container on the back deck every Summer (for the past 4 years). 5-1-1 with Osmocote, sometimes Fish Emulsion, sometimes Foliage Pro. This year's plant is already off to a great start.

o

Yeah, forgot to refer to your original concern about Tomatoes. I and others grow plenty of tomato plants in 511 with no problem.

o

I'm in my third year of using the 5-1-1, Osmocote, Foliage Pro routine on my tomatoes, and I couldn't be happier. I grew them in a combination of ProMix and compost for many years before that, and had more problems with soggy soil and disease than I do now. Here are some of my plants from July 1, 2012, in 25-gallon Smart Pots with Texas Tomato Cages. Best year ever.

Texas Tomato Cages July 2012 photo July1-tomatoes1.jpg

o

tomatoes mmmmmmm they are the best :) keep showing the pic's guys I need motivation to get through winter.

hey look these were grown in 5" of cow poo LOL pulled that garden up going to grow pots on there this spring see how they do ? they got like 10 foot high.

BZ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here