Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this the saddest excuse for a soiless mix? lol pic

Posted by xmikelx 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 16:11

so i wanted to create a soiless mix but idk if this will work> fir bark ( zoo med repti bark) and leca stones. any advice or thoughts..... or help is appreciated lol

is it ok like this if i add napa auto parts floor dry stuff? or perlite something else???
i soooo want to stop using mg stuff... gnat fly haven!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this the saddest excuse for a soiless mix? lol pic

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 19:48

That soil will work fine if you can keep up with your plants' watering needs. It's difficult to have too much aeration, from the plants' perspective, but you need to balance that against your need to eat/sleep/work/watch Idol instead of water. ;-) Ideally, your particles would be in the 1/10" to 1/4" size range with most concentrated in the 1/10 to 1/8" gradient.

Al

o
RE: Is this the saddest excuse for a soiless mix? lol pic

Hi mister AL! *-*
funnylol not to mention go to school and do homework!

SO, some of the bark and leca stones are a little too large. i can just remove some of the big ones....right.

so can my adding napa floor dry #8822 screened through a insect screen retain enough water so i an go a few days without watering? i Just dont want to be bothered with the MG potting soil

i have two experiments with mg potting soil, bark and perlite.i put a little more potting soil in this one. i didnt screen the perlite. the gardenia vietnamensis seems to be ok and it dries out relatively fast for a plant that is not potbound. ( i hate perlite it floats right to the top.)

the other one there is more bark then potting soil. i have a african gardenia in it.it is just now starting to show signs of growth( it was root pruned)

i probably shouldnt experiment with these kinds of plants?! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here