Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow Box from The Garden Patch

Posted by gjshawk 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 16:20

I've purchased three of the Garden Patch Grow Boxes, and have started using them now that the freezing nights are in the past. I've filled them with Mel's Mix from Square Foot Gardening, and planted tomatoes and peppers in two of them, and bush beans in the third.

I've been reading the container forums and haven't found mention of Mel's Mix used in containers (1/3 coarse vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 blended compost). So far all is good. Photos attached. The Grow Boxes come with a built-in fertilizer tube that dissolves throughout the growing season.

Has anyone else used Mel's Mix in containers? Results?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow Box from The Garden Patch

Nice grow box. Was Mel's mix suggested? Kinda hard to tell how big it is. What are the dimensions? I notice that you have 2 tomato plants in it.

This post was edited by edweather on Wed, May 15, 13 at 20:40

o

It's pretty much a 1 ft by 2 ft box, about 14 inches deep, I think. The recommended soil was Miracle Grow Potting Mix, but I have four raised boxes with Mel's mix, and it's supposed to be better, so I used it. When I planted the tomatoes (the manufacturer only recommends 2 tomatoes per box), I found the soil got damper the deeper I dug, so it's wicking up pretty well, I think. The reservoir holds 4 gallons.

o

Sounds good. I've never heard of Mel's Mix, but I've never heard of alot of things. Keep us posted.

o

If you go to the square foot gardening forum you will be inundated with Mel's mix. It's a big deal there, kinda like the 5-1-1 (whatever that is) in this forum. Mel Bartholomew is the guru of square foot gardening and he came up with the mix, which allows you to fill raised beds with a good growing soil no matter what the beds are placed on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here