Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something wicked is leaving holes in my strawberries!

Posted by nycgarden 7/6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 16:20

A bit of a mystery I hope someone can help me solve. I have a rooftop container garden with about 70 strawberry plants. I've been growing strawberries for about 3 years and have had various insect problems. This year for the first time, I'm seeing these tiny holes in some of my berries.

berry

There are also many more rotten ones with what I take to be fruit flies everywhere. I saw what looked like little 1/2 inch white worms crawling around in some of the berries but could not identify them after searching online.

Yesterday, I found a slug on one of my berries! Does anyone recognize the damage as coming from slugs? My next question is, if it is a slug, how does a slug end up on a rooftop garden? Did a bird drop it off or did it hitch a ride?

Whats the best way to deal with them? Thanks in advance for any advice and or sympathy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something wicked is leaving holes in my strawberries!

It looks like slug or snail damage for sure, but I have no clue how it got on your roof top... The little white worms are probably some type of maggot...

o

Yup. Slugs. With helicopters, evidently!

o

I grow my strawberries in the ground, and when I pick the it's alway one for me, two for the slugs etc... Lol I still get a good harvest though, but it is always sad when they get the ones that are nice and big and perfecttly shaped... All they do is chew one little hole, then leave the rest, I wish they would at least eat the whole thing!

They may have gotten in your garden by hitch hiking on a plant, or some eggs were in a bit of soil you used, or who knows :(

o

Thanks everyone.

I neemed the whole patch. I love the smell of neem in the morning.

It smells like . . . victory!

o

If neem smells like ... victory -then- AzaMax must be nuclear wipeout! Just got my first TINY 4oz bottle of Aza and am on the way to totally prevent rust mite devastation.

Ah yes, I can smell that victory of which you speak!!

DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here