Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Makeshift metal container for herbs

Posted by SoCalET CA (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 16:24

Hi All,

I'm new here to this board (and a pretty new gardener). I have some metal containers that I would like to turn into herb pots. They are from Crate & Barrel, you can see a photo of it at the link below.

How should I prepare the container for planting my herbs? Do I need to drill holes in the bottom, add rocks or anything to the bottom for drainage? Should I be concerned about any chemicals that may be present? How about soil recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

ET

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of container

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Makeshift metal container for herbs

I don't see why they wouldn't work. Drill bottom holes and screen the extra openings. Use a good free draining mix. The powder coating should not be a problem. They are big enough if you don't try putting multiple plants per container. Al

o

Just be low the banner at the top of the page is a search box feel free to search for your answers , as you are new and need to do some reading .

o

Cool container! It looks like the slats on the sides are open, like a locker, but I would still put 5-6 holes in the bottom. Chemicals? Assuming this was made in China, could be lead paint. I don't think they are very strict in checking on non-toy/food use items. I don't know that I would use a container like that for an edible plant. Maybe somebody who knows more about lead and its' role (if any) in plant physiology / phytochemistry will have some advice there.

Dickie, not everybody has the time or desire to delve into extraneous information. Some just want to plant their (unusual) container and move on with their life.

o

Thanks for all your input. Dickie, I did some searching, and have taken in a tremendous amount of information. But I had a very specific question about this unusual container that I found, so I wanted to ask it in a new thread.

Purple, It is cool, isn't it? My plan was to plan herbs in it, labeling each container with the ready made tab in front. You have me concerned now. How do I know what containers are safe for edibles and which are not?

o

I wouldn't drill any extra holes. Just use some landscape fabric on the sides to close off the openings.

As far as safety; the powder coat is just a special type of paint application and is perfectly safe. If you question plastics, just go to the store and look at food containers. On the bottom is a number inside a triangle; that designated the type of plastic. So that's what you search out for containers. . . . .just avoid 'Made in China'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here