Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wingspings

Container cleaning solution

wingspings
11 years ago

I got 5 gallon pails that had relish in them. Rinsed them out but I do not think that all of the vinegar that was in the pails is gone.

I made a compost tea in one of the buckets. Was using the compost tea to water plants. The tomatoes have yellow on the leaves, other plants are not doing well either. I stopped with the compost tea.

What is a good cleaning solution for the rest of the containers?

Comments (6)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Hot soapy water then rinse really well.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I doubt that the vinegar left in your pails caused your problems. Some people routinely add as much as a tablespoon of vinegar to a gallon of water when watering their plants to bring down the pH of hard water. What was in your compost tea and how concentrated was it? Are your plants in pots? And what kind of growing medium are you growing in? Could you have overwatered or overfertilized with the compost tea? Just because it's "organic" doesn't mean it can't hurt your plants, especially in containers.

• wingspings
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the ingredients of the compost tea, coffee grounds, compost, and fresh lawn clippings in a 5 gallon pail. I had let it steep for about 8 days.

I was watering every other day with only the compost tea. This was my first time using compost tea and thought that it would be all right being organic matter.

So how often should I use compost tea on my plants?

• greentiger87
    11 years ago

Tannins and alkaloids in the coffee grounds could cause problems on leaves if the concentration was too high. Compost tea is a waste of time, imho. There are usually better, more practical solutions depending on what you're specifically trying to accomplish.

The yellowing could have nothing to do with the compost tea at all.. could you describe it in more detail - or better yet, post pictures?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

What you were using was not compost tea, but I tend to agree with greentiger. Even if it was compost tea your use of it would not be of benefit IMHO. Al

• wingspings
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will get some pictures up of the plants.

It has been raining here for the last 3 days.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!