Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini Bark - Safe for Cats?

Posted by cheruk Hampshire, UK (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 16:35

Hi al

This is my first post to the forum.

I have several cats, who have access to my secured garden. I have bought some Wesltand Mini Bark for the garden, but not sure what it is made with, so unsure if it is safe to use around the cats.

I have heard some terrible stories about garden barks mulches poisoning pets, and need to be certain that my beloved cats are safe.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Chrissy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini Bark - Safe for Cats?

Welcome to the forum, and greetings from across the pond.

If it's just natural bark, I can't see any possible harm. If possible maybe do a little research with the company as to what exactly the product is. Hard to tell exactly what it is, but here's a previous thread. Looks like conifer bark, so you should be ok.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0616252930337.html?6

o

If the cats are stupid enough to eat bark, what else will they eat? ;)

Barring that type of brain damaged beast, though, I have seen cats totally ignore bark mulch while others think it makes a dandy litter box.

No animal was injured in these experiments.

Dennis

o

In my experience most healthy cats don't eat things that make them sick, but I have friends who tell me about indoor cats eating poisonous plants and other unhealthy things, like plastic or Christmas tinsel. I understand that willow tree bark contains salicylic acid, the active ingredient in aspirin, which can be deadly to cats. Cocoa shell mulch has made dogs sick or even die when they eat large quantities. But I have not heard of any animal being sickened by pine bark.

o

You would really have to ask the manufacturer, and even they might not know, if the source plants of the bark had had any insecticides applied to prevent the bark beetle infestations that the US has been having struggles with.

Cats usually stay well away from anything that smells toxic. though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here