Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Spacing container cantaloupes under a trellis

anney
17 years ago

I've never trellised cantaloupes before and am wondering what sort of space should be allowed for the foliage and fruit of each plant on a trellis.

I've planned to allow 2 feet of trellis width (height about 8-9 feet) for each plant, though the 5-gallon containers are not that wide. Will this be enough room for the vines (Ambrosia) when growing alongside the others? The vines grow to a pretty good length, 8-10 feet.

Comments (7)

• mea2214
    17 years ago

I've been told that 5 gallon containers are too small to grow cantaloupes. I'm growing a honeydew melon this year and was told to stick with a 20 gallon container per plant.

I have the same question about the trellis though since this will be the first time I've grown these things.

• anney
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, mea.

For the melons, each 5-gal. bucket has a large hole in the bottom through which the roots can grow down into the soil below, sort of like a raised bed. Theoretically it will work along the principles of square foot gardening -- "intense" spacing but with much attention paid to ensuring sufficient nutrients and moisture. The recommended space is one square foot per melon plant. Anyway, I'll report back on them after the season is finished.

The rest of the veggies that need support are tomatoes in self-watering grow-buckets.

• OUTofSPITE
    17 years ago

I grew a cantaloupe in 2004. I used a tepee trellis and a 20" pot.
    Here's the vine-
    {{gwi:31080}}

When the melon got larger, I used a piece of cheesecloth as a hammock to support its weight.
    {{gwi:31081}}

I was afraid the weight of the melon would bring the vine down.
    {{gwi:31082}}

There wasn't enough time in the growing season for the 2nd melon to get larger & ripen, so I only ended up with one.
    {{gwi:31083}}

It was a beauty!
    {{gwi:31084}}

Here it is... just before eating.

{{gwi:31085}}

It was very juicy but it didn't have much flavor. But it tasted good anyway, 'cuz I grew it! LOL!

• mea2214
    17 years ago

LOL. Getting one melon out of a plant does not inspire me at all to plant this honeydew melon seedling I have under lights right now. Last year I grew cucumbers in containers and had so many that I couldn't give them away fast enough. I kind of hoped that this melon seedling would produce more than one!

• anney
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mea

Melon plants produce 2-5 melons per plant -- that's all.

• jleek
    17 years ago

mea2214 --I grew hubbard squash one year going up my pine tree. Something else also. They grew fine but sure did look funny. Tasted great. Never thought of cukes in a container, perhaps that will be a first for me this year.

• mea2214
    17 years ago

Last year was a first for me with cucumbers too. I was too lazy to trellis them. They kind of grew on the rooftop and hung over the edge of the building. They did extremely well even though my soil was poorly aerated per that other article about container soils so these plants must be extremely hardy. Every week my refridgerator filled up with cucumbers from only 2 plants.

I put up a pic of one of last year's cuke plants taken on June 26 in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:31079}}