Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing container cantaloupes under a trellis

Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 6, 06 at 17:02

I've never trellised cantaloupes before and am wondering what sort of space should be allowed for the foliage and fruit of each plant on a trellis.

I've planned to allow 2 feet of trellis width (height about 8-9 feet) for each plant, though the 5-gallon containers are not that wide. Will this be enough room for the vines (Ambrosia) when growing alongside the others? The vines grow to a pretty good length, 8-10 feet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing container cantaloupes under a trellis

I've been told that 5 gallon containers are too small to grow cantaloupes. I'm growing a honeydew melon this year and was told to stick with a 20 gallon container per plant.

I have the same question about the trellis though since this will be the first time I've grown these things.

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, May 7, 06 at 8:15

Hi, mea.

For the melons, each 5-gal. bucket has a large hole in the bottom through which the roots can grow down into the soil below, sort of like a raised bed. Theoretically it will work along the principles of square foot gardening -- "intense" spacing but with much attention paid to ensuring sufficient nutrients and moisture. The recommended space is one square foot per melon plant. Anyway, I'll report back on them after the season is finished.

The rest of the veggies that need support are tomatoes in self-watering grow-buckets.

o

I grew a cantaloupe in 2004. I used a tepee trellis and a 20" pot.
Here's the vine-
Cantalope-071604

When the melon got larger, I used a piece of cheesecloth as a hammock to support its weight.
Cantalope-in hammock-080104

I was afraid the weight of the melon would bring the vine down.
Cantalopes-081404

There wasn't enough time in the growing season for the 2nd melon to get larger & ripen, so I only ended up with one.
Cantalope-in hammock-081304

It was a beauty!
Cantalope Harvest-083104

Here it is... just before eating.

Cantalope-Halved-close-090204

It was very juicy but it didn't have much flavor. But it tasted good anyway, 'cuz I grew it! LOL!

o

LOL. Getting one melon out of a plant does not inspire me at all to plant this honeydew melon seedling I have under lights right now. Last year I grew cucumbers in containers and had so many that I couldn't give them away fast enough. I kind of hoped that this melon seedling would produce more than one!

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 10, 06 at 4:34

mea

Melon plants produce 2-5 melons per plant -- that's all.

o

mea2214 --I grew hubbard squash one year going up my pine tree. Something else also. They grew fine but sure did look funny. Tasted great. Never thought of cukes in a container, perhaps that will be a first for me this year.

o

Last year was a first for me with cucumbers too. I was too lazy to trellis them. They kind of grew on the rooftop and hung over the edge of the building. They did extremely well even though my soil was poorly aerated per that other article about container soils so these plants must be extremely hardy. Every week my refridgerator filled up with cucumbers from only 2 plants.

I put up a pic of one of last year's cuke plants taken on June 26 in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container cucumber on 6/6/05

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here