Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine or Fir Bark Fines in Georgia for gritty mix?

Posted by drake36 GA (My Page) on
Thu, May 5, 11 at 17:02

I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a few weeks. I am trying to find pine of fir bark fines for Al's gritty mix. I used Repti Bark for my first batch and quickly found out that it will get too expensive using the Repti Bark. I have found some bagged stuff but it contains too much sapwood (matchsticks as some have called them). I have seen postings of pictures of micro bark used for orchids but have not been able to locate any locally. Buying online would end up costing just as much as the Repti Bark. Just wondering if anyone knew of a good source in the north Atlanta area? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine or Fir Bark Fines in Georgia for gritty mix?

I live in the north east but I too have had problems finding it. I can find it but it is 7 dllrs for .25 cu ft called Orchid Mix. I can only find mulch grade stuff for cheap. So I have picked up some long fiber spah peat moss. It was cheap and very light.

o

Here is a couple for you. It seems you have more access to the stuff than I do.

I did a google search:-)

Mulch
Pine Mulch
Cypress Mulch
Sands
Top Soil
Bio Mix Soil
Flower Mix

404-348-8907
METRO ATLANTA'S PREMIER SUPPLIER OF LANDSCAPE MATERIAL AND BULK EARTH PRODUCTS - WE DELIVER ! Gravels
Stones
Flagstone
Sod
Sod Dressing
Pavers
Building Materials

http://www.greenbrothersearthworks.com/pine-mulch.html

http://www.lgyp.com/Pine-Bark-Mulch-in-Atlanta,Georgia.htm

http://www.atlantapinestraw.net/

Master:

Just do a google search for 'pine bark mulch' suppliers for your area, and there should be something.

Cheers

Mike

o

Drake:

I also was able to locate a couple of suppliers that provide Fafard products. I KNOW that many would say they were very lucky if they could find anyone that provides Fafard mixes that come very close to the 5.1.1 mix.

If you find one, let us know, will you?

Hastings Garden Center
3920 Peachtree Road NE
Atlanta, GA, 30319
Phone: 404-869-7447
Fax:
Distance: 9.46 miles
longitude: -84.3291
latitude: 33.8768
Gary's Garden Ctr.Wholesale
6100 Lawrenceville Hwy
Tucker, GA, 30084
Phone: 770-381-7355
Fax:
Distance: 12.28 miles
longitude: -84.2154
latitude: 33.8539
Ash-Simpson Garden Center
4961 Peachtree Blvd
Atlanta, GA, 30341
Phone: 770-458-3224
Fax:
Distance: 11.61 miles
longitude: -84.2782
latitude: 33.8901

Mike

o

Thank you so much Mike and thank you for answering my emails about jades and citrus. It is Patrick from Georgia. I will contact the garden centers you listed. Thanks again. Talk to you soon.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 14:26

I'm bumping this thread for a grower near Atlanta.

Also, Scroll down to the very bottom of the newsletter I'll link to below. You'll find a list of orchid supply houses that should have fir bark in the appropriate size - or they might put you onto someone who can get it in bulk. I pay $20 for 3 cu ft of clean, prescreened 1/8-1/4" product - $17 if I buy 20 bags or more, which I almost always do.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: leads for fir bark

o

im buying up 2cf bags of small chip pine bark at lowes,homedepot..
i will be using several huge pots this summer..for many of my potted tropicals (amorphophallus) one concern ive always had is drainage..i use perlite..but it breaks down at end of season..bark..not wood chips.. dont break down so fast..making them a great potting mix additive..
good luck to ya in GA !!!!

o

The closest i could come about a year ago was Orchiaita #9 from Acacdian Wholesale Supply in Suwannee, GA. Pinus radiata bark, screened, cleaned, 6-9 mm in size which is a little large but was close enough for my needs. I think it was about $25 for a 1.5 cu. ft. bag.

The Atlanta Orchid Society annual show is right around the corner, March 8-10, in Day Hall at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. A good time to meet some local and nearby vendors not to mention some very knowlegdeable folks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here