Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryartist_sf

NOT sphagnum peat moss in Al's 5:1:1 mix?

mary
9 years ago

Did you know that some countries are outlawing sphagnum peat moss because it's bad for the environment? I wonder what is a more ethical, sustainable alternative? I'm thinking about Al Tapla's 5:1:1 mix for most plants, but I understand that peat moss is a critical element for growing mushrooms, orchids, and carnivorous plants.

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/questioning-peat-moss

I'm researching. It's difficult to suss out solutions specifically for 5:1:1 container gardening and hypertufa. Here's what I found:

Coir sounds like it can be too salty, and possibly less ethical. It seems some have not had good success using it in containers. "True" hypertufa is a substance that uses peat moss. The peat moss decomposes quickly and leaves the characteristic pits and crevices in the hypertufa that make it resemble tufa stone. Coir fiber does not decompose as quickly as peat moss. Also, coconut coir mulch is apparently extremely toxic to dogs, and it smells chocolatey-good to them.

Another peat moss alternative is manufactured in California from sustainably harvested redwood fiber.

"Magic Dirt" takes dairy fiber from an anaerobic digester at a dairy biogas plant and converts it into a high value peat moss substitute designed for the horticulture industry. Hmm...

Other materials that I found suggested by articles: Biochar, stone wool, fired clay pebbles,silica stone, wood-waste, shredded tree prunings, straw, cocoa shells (a byproduct of the chocolate industry,) spent mushroom compost, composted garden waste or leaf mold...

"Leaf mold takes 6-12 months to mature. When you rake up leaves, put them into a separate compost site, or bag them up per usual, but reserve the bags, putting a few slashes into the sides. It's helpful, but not necessary, to toss a handful or two of regular compost into the leaves. Keep them damp (not wet), and turn occasionally (if in bags, just shake the bags a bit). When it's done, it should be loamy humus. It has nearly no nutrients, but its properties are similar to peat moss. Some folks pasteurize leaf mold in the oven."

Personally, I don't want to pay money to help deplete a limited supply of billion-year-old minerals. I believe that we are to be good stewards of the home that we have been given and are to use the resources wisely and carefully. Peat regrows about 1 mm per year, and it appears that many bogs are not regrowing at all. It can take centuries for a peat bog to recover from mining. What do you think?

Comments (2)