Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what else can I squeeze in.

Posted by howelbama 7 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 17:08

Hi,

What else can I squeeze in with these eggplants. They are each in a 17 gallon steel bucket.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what else can I squeeze in.

How about some strawberries around the edge? I heard the everbearing type can produce throughout summer and fall. I hope it's true because I have one growing vigorously without any flower buds yet.

Yue

o

I usually grow two eggplants in a 20-gallon container and the roots fill the container by season end, so I would guess your single egg plant will grow very well in that pot. It might depend on how big the eggplants you are growing will get. Some Asian and dwarf eggplants are pretty small, while black beauty and similar eggplants are fairly large.

You might try growing some herbs that attract beneficial insects, like basil or dill. Or some French marigolds, that are reputed to repel some bad insects. But my experience is that egg plant leaves get very big and will shade any plants growing under them. So sun lovers will be unhappy. I love the idea of mixing different plants in a vegetable container, but it has never worked well for me.

o

Ohio,

I normally grow my eggplant in raised beds with generous spacing and get great yeilds. This is a first for containers with them. I may just leave then all alone and just provide some mulch instead of nutrient robbing companions...

o

I'm no expert but I think that something fast growing with a shallow root system would be fine, like radishes. They would mature early. Also onions or leeks or whatever those smaller onion-type veggies are called. Lots of choices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here