Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine Bark Mulch/Fines source in Boston Area/MA

Posted by belmonter none (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:13

Anyone know of a source in the greater Boston area/Eastern Mass. for Pine/Fir bark fines/mulch needed for Al's 5-1-1 mix for containers?
Many thanks!

This post was edited by belmonter on Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine Bark Mulch/Fines source in Boston Area/MA

Hi belmonter, I don't live in your area so I can't provide specifics.

Are there any Agway stores in your area? If so, they might be good sources of bark. Others on this forum have posted great photos of pine bark purchased at their local Agway stores.

You can also try the big box stores in your area, but there's a good probability that you won't find usable pine bark fines/mulch there. Some people on this forum DO find usable pine or fir bark there, but many others do not.

There must be some smaller family-owned garden centers in the Boston area. I would contact them and ask.

Hope that helped.

TYG

o

I did check the Agway but they had the Forest Pines 100% Pine Bark Mulch which was larger in size (not fine) and had some sapwood. Not sure if anyone here has used that brand before for the 511 mix.
Nothing at the big box stores.
Will check local garden centers.

Thanks.

o

I'm in Framingham and have also been looking for Pine Bark, haven't had much luck. Russell's in Wayland has Pine--something, I'm entirely sure if it's the right stuff.

o

The Agway in Chelmsford has the Agway Brand Pine Bark Mulch that you can use straight out of the bag. You can search the forum to find the pictures of the bag. I got 3 bags today and they have a pallet!

o

belmonter,

That's great news! I'm happy you found some usable pine bark. Quite a few people in the Northeast seem to have good luck finding pine bark at Agway stores so that's why I mentioned it as a possibility.

If you get a chance I'd like to see what the bark looks like right out of the bag. I've heard that it's nearly perfect with little, if any, screening necessary.

The pine bark I have found this year comes from KMart garden center of all places. It's usable for what I need, but it has quite a bit of sapwood in it. I'm sure the quality is lower than what you just bought.

Thanks.

TYG

o

Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-4-qt-Fine-Pine-Mulch-Resealable-Bag-MULCH3357FNPNE/203920297

Here is a link that might be useful: fines at HD

o

Chelmsford is where I get mine too...The best part is that it is southern pine bark...Very good stuff..
You hit the jackpot..Now I need to stock up too..

Also if you want a mix as close to the 5.1.1 mix, try Griffins Greenhouse Supplies in Tewksbury M.A..We are lucky to have access to the Fafard Mixes everyone wants..

With that all I have to do is add perlite..Sometimes I will even sift out just a little of the peat and get the perfect mix!

o

Russell's has Forest Pines 3/8" Mini Nuggets, would that be the right stuff?

http://www.russellsgardencenter.com/baggedProducts.html#mulch

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here