Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
podpeople

Leaf problems on Blackberries, Currants, & Gooseberries?

podpeople
12 years ago

Howdy,

Lately I've been having a struggle with my blackberry, currant, and gooseberry plants. The leaves all seem to be showing me that they need help, but I haven't been able to figure them out yet. Here are some photos and please shine some light on the issues I might be having. All plants are in Al's mix, with a layer of mulch, and watered only when the the finger test shows the first few inches are dry.

Blackberries (Browning all along the leaf edges and slowly working its way in):

{{gwi:31155}}

Currants (Yellowing all along the leaf edges and slowly turning dry and brown, texture of the leaves seems thicker than before):

{{gwi:31156}}

Gooseberries (Browning/redness along the leaf edges and slowly works its way in):

{{gwi:31157}}

Any help would be greatly appreciated in hopes of getting some tasty fruit this year.

Thanks again,

~CJ

Comments (9)

• groem
    12 years ago

is your fertilizer adding magnesium?

• podpeople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I used a little bit of Dynamite slow release in the mix and I use a weak solution of All Purpose Miracle Grow once a week. Should I be adding some Epsom salts?

Thanks again,
    ~CJ

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Leaf margins with a build up of salts is usually an indicator that the mix is not being flushed with enough water to drain out the holes. Or you could be using water containing Boron or another chemical. Al

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

What mix are you using? Did you add lime or gypsum?

AL

• podpeople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello again,

I'm using the 511 mix and I added lime to the mixture. Should I flush them thoroughly and fertilize? Do you recommend the epsom salt too?

Thanks again,
    ~CJ

• podpeople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello again,

Does anybody have any suggestions, does it just look like a deficiency? Should I be using Epsom Salts with my weekly diluted fertilization?

The yellow edges of the currant leaves are now turning brown and dry,

Thanks again,
    ~CJ

• podpeople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello again,

I've discovered some spider mites on the blackberry bushes, could that be causing the strange leaf edge discoloration or does it still look like a deficiency of some sort? Maybe potash? On all three I am using the 5.1.1. mix with lime, only watering when dry a few inches down and fertilizing weakly weekly at 1/4 strength using Miracle Gro 24-8-16.

Thanks again,
    ~CJ

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

It seems to me you have enough chemicals in you mix already. When you water do you water enough so that 10 t0 20 percent of the water you added is seen to exit the drain holes? At this point I would take my container and immerse it in a tub of water for about 5 minutes, pull it out and let it drain. If possible I would change my fertilizer to Foliage Pro which contains everything your plant needs, and from now on water as suggested above. Al

• pallyodin
    11 years ago

I've been having this exact same problem with my Red Lake Currant. I planted it this spring, and as winter is coming, I fear that it wont make it. This is actually the first place that I've been able to find a picture of this problem, though i did find one that looked similar. The similar picture said that the problem was a K deficiency, but it seems like you've been using plenty of fertilizer, so I wouldn't think that is the issue. I've hunted for months now for an answer, and am no closer than before.
    I know that this post is a little old, but I'm still in dire need of help if anyone knows what to do.