Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I use for a plastic hanging basket liner?

Posted by organic_wonderful 10 (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 17:15

I bought a couple of wire hanging baskets and coir inserts, but they obviously didn't come with any sort of plastic insert that you use to retain water (with some perforations to allow for drainage), since without one they dry out in less than 24 hours, as I found out to my dismay.

So, what can I use instead? I don't have anything dome shaped that I can use, so I was wondering whether just improvising with cut up plastic shopping carrier bags would do? Or is there anything readily available that someone here could recommend which I could use for the project?

I'll be planting 6 strawberry plants in each of the two 14" hanging baskets if you were wondering.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I use for a plastic hanging basket liner?

I use the heavier plastic of ziplock gallon size bags. I cut them at the seams and pierce them several times. Each bag serves to line two 14-18 inch hanging baskets. I did this with strawberry plants about five weeks ago and I have been pleased with the results.

I used cheaper, thinner grocery bags last year and some of them didn't hold up very well. The garden center recommended using their clear plastic plant saucers without poking holes in them, but those cost $1 or more.

o

if your potting mix is draining to fast then putting a plastic liner wont help too much. you need to look at your potting mix. my hanging baskets with the coir bottoms get watered once a week.

o

Terrybull: What are you using for potting soil? In Southwest Ohio, I would be concerned about only needing to water once a week in the summer. I am using Al's 5-1-1 in my baskets this year. Last year I used a quality nonsoil mix with composted bark and peat. When it got very hot and dry, I had to water every other day. I don't think that's unreasonable. Four weeks into this season, I think the 5-1-1 has already proved it's worth. We've had unseasonable cold and record breaking rainfall. None of my hanging coir-lined baskets are soggy, and they are growing well.

o

my baskets are pretty big 22 inches and 16 deep. but my mix for them is 4 parts shreded bark, 2 parts peat and one perlite.

o

Sounds a lot like 5-1-1, which is what I suspect the original poster plans to use.

o

no its 4-2-1

o

So, I guess you are saying that the little bit of extra peat keeps your soil mix moist for a week in an unlined coir basket?

o

please read carefully 4-2-1 not 5-1-1

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here