Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes 5-1-1 mix

Posted by ppmary none (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 17:37

I have Espoma's Organic Garden Lime, which does contain magnesium.

Two questions..at what rate should it be added and is additional epsom salt necessary?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes 5-1-1 mix

IMO additional epsom salts are not necessary, and the amount of lime is 1 tablespoon per gallon of 511 mix.

o
RE: Tomatoes 5-1-1 mix

Note that the garden lime is being used here to adjust the pH up slightly. It will provide some Ca and Mg but likely not enough and not in the correct proportion for Ca hungry tomatoes (unless you have high levels of Ca in your water or something).

I'd make sure whatever fertilizer you use has Ca and Mg in something like a 4:1 ratio or find something like Cal-Mag to add to a fertilizer that doesn't have them (or make your own with calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here