Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How did Orchiata bark in Gritty Mix work out for those who tried?

Posted by ash1970 6b (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 18:24

Hi,

There've been several threads over the past year or two about using Besgrow Orchiata in Gritty Mix.

How did it work for you?

Was the 6-9 mm "classic" or the 3-6 mm grade used?

And has Al ever weighed in on this interesting, treated bark. Can't seem to find any comment by searching.

If I understand the mixes a bit from his writings, looks like Orchiata might function well for the filler and public-relations (organic) aspect of bark, but against the "inexpensive" attribute. (The reported even slower breakdown of Orchiata than other barks is probably ok for Gritty, but maybe a bit against 5-1-1.) But could be misinterpreting...

Been considering experimenting with Al's mixes if I can get the components. At my location, it's unfortunately starting to look like internet ordering shipping fees may balance the $ in, gas tolls, and time it would take to source "locally"...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How did Orchiata bark in Gritty Mix work out for those who tr

I've been using the 3-6mm grade for over 6 months, use it straight out of the bag - no washing or sieving.

Plants love it so far. Also I've used it with both Turface and pumice as the water retentive component.

By the way the name for 3-6mm is "precision"

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 14 at 10:41

I use orchiata classic and love it. No sifting required. It's great for gritty type mixes.

o

I've only used it this season, but it works great. I think it does break down faster than than reptibark, but the price difference is ridiculous.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Mon, May 12, 14 at 14:24

I think the cost depends on where you live and are getting it. It isn't much more expensive for me than big bags of orchid seedling bark which is far less expensive than reptibark.

o

Appreciate hearing about your experiences. Thank you.

(FWIW, looks like best-case cost for a bag shipped to my location would work out to be about the same as picking up an equal volume of Repti-Bark at a local pet retailer.)

o

The Repti-Bark would have a lot of large pieces, so the Orchiata would be a better value if useable straight out of the bag. I've never used it, however.

Josh

o

I have not used Orchiata bark but from what I've read it's very high-quality material. Probably the best around for making these soil mixes. The cost of the bark and the shipping costs are the only negatives I can see.

The photos I've seen look much better than the pine bark I have access to.

TYG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here