Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting veggies

Posted by turaloora z10Cal. (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 18:26

I have 3 self watering containers? Each is 3ftx2ft and approx 1 ft deep. Would i be able to grow a cucumber in 1 a zucchini in 1 and a bell pepper in 1? I got these containers at a garage sale, and they dont show when they are full of water even with the thing you fill the water in? So how do i tell if they are full then? They are from natural gardening catalog, Their newer models of different planters have a gauge that tells you when its full and when they need water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting veggies

If they are similar to Earthboxes, there is a hole in the side for overflow. You just fill them until water comes out that hole. You need to water everyday once your season gets going and try to determine how rapidly the reservoir empties out. The top of the soil mix should always be moist.

If they are Earthboxes, they hold about 15 gallons or 2 cubic feet of mix. The EB people say you can grow 2 tomatoes, or 2 zucchini or 6 cucumbers in one of their pots. If your tomatoes are large indeterminates, you'd probably be better growing only one. And I don't think anyone needs more than one zucchini plant. But that's just my opinion.

Edit: Sorry. I see you wanted to grow peppers, not cucumbers. You could grow two of those.

This post was edited by Ohiofem on Sat, May 17, 14 at 12:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here