Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryartist_sf

repot our Norfolk Pine

mary
9 years ago

Hello, gardening community!

I am now confidently (WOO HOO!) making my own gritty mix (and I'm selling it - fun!) so it's time to repot our decades-old Norfolk Pine. It's in good health in a huge ceramic beast of a pot, and since it's springtime, I'd like to get the big guy into better soil. It has been delicately root-pruned and potted into new soil at infrequent intervals. I think it's time. (Or is July better?)

I'm writing because I'm so nervous - I don't want to mess things up. I'm not a repotting expert, this has always been my husband's plant and we are newlyweds - what if I hurt his prized plant? I know I'll saw off the bottom 1/4 of the roots. I'm putting it back into its enormous ceramic pot, not buying a bigger one.

Found this that Tapla wrote: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0417334631829.html so I read all three versions.

Any more pointers beyond this? Things to specifically watch out for with Norfolk Pine? A link to a step-by-step guide with video would be most helpful. Geez, I'm nervous.

This post was edited by maryartist on Sun, May 4, 14 at 19:10

Comments (8)