Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
themastergardener1

Are your plants getting what they want?

TheMasterGardener1
12 years ago

I have found this when I was looking into nutrient supplements. Enjoy.

Amino acids � the components in protein � are the building blocks of all cell formation. Amino acids are necessary components in many processes in the plant, among them the photosynthesis which produces carbohydrates necessary for plant growth. All plants are capable of synthesizing amino acids, but it is a complex and energy demanding process. The application of amino acids to crop plants therefore allows for energy saving and improved plant development during the critical stages of a plant�s life cycle when it requires abundant amounts of these protein structures

Amino acid effect on plants:

L-Aspartic Acid:

Promotes Germination

L-Glutamic Acid:

Chelation

Stimulates Growth

Promotes Germination

L-Arginine:

Cold Resistance

L-Cysteine :

Chelation

L-Phenylaninine :

Promotes Germination

L-Glycine :

Chelation

L-Histidine :

Chelation

L-Alanine :

Cold Resistance

Chlorophyll synthesis stimulation

L-Lysine :

Chelation

Chlorophyll synthesis stimulation

Promotes Germination

L-Methionine :

Promotes Germination

Stimulates Ethylene Production

L-Proline :

Anti-stress action

L-Serine :

Auxin Precursor

L-Threonine :

Promotes Germination

L-Tryptophan :

Auxin Precursor

L-Valine :

Auxin Precursor

source: www.agrinos.com/l-amino-acids-and-plant-stimulation.aspx

Comments (19)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Can you provide the link, please?

Al

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The source at the bottum is the site. Just put in www.agrinos.com/l-amino-acids-and-plant-stimulation.aspx in your search engine.

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Again providing these things for your plant will allow it to grow more productive. Plants provide these acids on their own but providing them will allow the plant to focus on growng faster.

12 years ago

Can you explain what you mean? How can a plant 'focus' on growing faster? How can you be sure this "technology" works, as what you're asking us to take at face value is an infomercial from the people producing these products who also want you to buy them. The application seems to be tailored to agronomic applications and not container culture. How can you be sure the product has merit for container culture applications?

AL

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I listed the site on my origanal post.
    Yes it would beneficial in container soiless. When we make a soiless enviroment it needs to replace really good soil and have drainage. There are not many things in the medium we use so where a basic micro macro program will work adding these acids and other elemts will increase your over all productivity.

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Agriculture production is a very intensive business and is related to better quality and better yield leading to better profitability.
    Every Farmers dreams to achieve this goal. However to achieve this goal with advancement of technology, use of fertilizer and pesticides is not adequate. Now is the time to look at Bioenergetics and Biochemical aspects of plants, to achieve the goals of Farmerss.
    Every plant like any organism needs certain components for growth over and above soil, sun, rain and air. The basic component of living cells is Proteins, with building block material, Amino Acids. Proteins are formed by sequence of Amino Acids.
    Plants synthesize Amino Acids from the Primary elements, the Carbon and Oxygen obtained from air, Hydrogen from water in the soil, forming Carbon Hydrate by means of photosynthesis and combining it with the Nitrogen which the plants obtain from the soil, leading to synthesis of amino acids, by collateral metabolic pathways. Only L-Amino Acids are part of these Proteins and have metabolic activity.
    The requirement of amino acids in essential quantities is well known as a means to increase yield and overall quality of crops.
    The application of amino acids for foliar use is based on its requirement by plants in general and at critical stages of growth in particular. Plants absorb Amino Acids through Stomas and is proportionate to environment temperature.
    Amino Acids are fundamental ingredients in the process of Protein Synthesis. About 20 important Amino Acids are involved in the process of each function. Studies have proved that Amino Acids can directly or indirectly influence the physiological activities of the plant.
    Amino Acids are also supplied to plant by incorporating them into the soil. It helps in improving the microflora of the soil thereby facilitating the assimilation of nutrients.
    Foliar Nutrition in the form of Protein Hydrolysate (Known as Amino Acids Liquid) and foliar spray provide readymade building blocks for Protein synthesis."

source:www.priyachem.com/effect.htm

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a some plants that I feed only MG and gypsum and they do wonderful. They have full sun and plenty of food and water.

12 years ago

I guess what I'm saying is that it appears to me that the manufacturer is creating a market by trying to convince us that these amendments are an advantage, but I've never seen anything in my horticultural travels to support the claims. It's sort of like copy/pasting the Superthrive hype as proof that Superthrive works. I'd need to see something a little more scholarly than ad copy as bait before I take the hook. Maybe it's just me, but I'm always sceptical of vagaries and fertilizer (soil amendment) ads.

AL

• dave_a
    12 years ago

I have no idea what you are going on about. If your post is spam, it's of sub par quality.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Where ever there is a sales/profit motive involved, it is always prudent to be skeptical, to research the marketing, the studies or testing, or the writings very carefully, comparing them to known science.

It's not prudent to take anything written on the internet at face value, regardless of how official it looks. The truth is... nothing on the internet is vetted. It's up to each of us to read carefully, and to go in search of corroborating proven scientific evidence.

Marketing campaigns are often very slick, fooling all but the most cautious and vigilant of readers. And the internet is known to carry spam and marketing campaigns by the millions.

What is it, exactly, that makes this marketing campaign better or more evidential than others? The fact that something works for me does not mean it's a valid product or idea. It may not work for others.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

What is the botanical mechanism of transport? How does HYT, or whatever, get into the plant and what is the mechanism by which it is moved to the part of the plant where it is useful?

• mrlike2u
    12 years ago

Same wording from me as Al and Jodi said , and also what the OP said in few words them selves.
    Would read :
    What happens to the plant if I don't foliage feed it.
    Sorry not a nibble or a bite from here either.

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can not be any clearer. Did you look at the sites that have this info? It is that hard to understand that you dont know it all? I learn more every day because I dont "know it all."

Plant thrive with L-amino applications. It is science.

"I have no idea what you are going on about. If your post is spam, it's of sub par quality."

Is this a real response? ;)

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are your plants getting what they want?
    Is the name of this post NOT Are your plants getting what they "need"? Plants produce acids by themself but it takes "growth energy". 2+2=?

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Expert Eye: Carbohydrates and Amino Acid Products" Search this to learn more.

Here is even a magazine source.

After reading this I see that the amino acids do help the plants. It seems that this is has been an ongoing argument for a while now. Not only here.:)

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This was a pointless post anyway.

I grow plants without amino added and they grow fine.

I just thought it was a interesting study that providing these for plants can help them overall. I have picked up a gal of a carbo/amino for 30 and it has gone a long way. It makes the plants metabolism higher and they "eat" more. I use soil and soilless.

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

I'm a skeptic with just about everything, and that included Al's gritty mix. But, my approach is to figure it out for myself, and in the case of the gritty mix, I tried it, and LOVE IT. I expected to have watering problems, but I don't, so basically, I skepticized, I tried, and no longer am I a skeptic. With that said, when it comes to this amino acid thing, all one can do is an experiment. That's the joy of this whole plant thing....you can try out new ideas, and if they work, great. If not, go back to what you did before.

As for companies tooting the horn of their own product, well, that is what they HAVE to do to get in the game. A company with a new idea or product must advertise in order to get anywhere, and that's what we have here. Personally, I wouldn't toot their horn unless I tried it and saw a positive result, but at the same time, I wouldn't bash it either. If I had a real "money tree", other than my pachira, I would try it, but since that's not the case, I'll wait to hear more.

Joe

• TheMasterGardener1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My tomatoes love it along with my other veggies. I have used it for 2 years now and i do see a bit of a difference. A difference that is more than worth the money. I like having the product on hand knowing that I can use it. Like I said I have areas wher I dont use it and the palnts do fine it is nice to know I could use it if I wanted to.

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

I think what we're all getting at is, in plain English, that the link in question is not an educational website with documented information, but one selling a product. Where ever there is profit to be made, there is an ulterior motive to giving positive information, whether it's valid or not.

There is good reason to be skeptical of the product and information... mainly because you can't believe everything you read. They've paid a rather good webmaster to create a site that's modern, professional looking, and non-intimidating, although much of what's there doesn't tell us anything.

In looking at a listing of their greatest investors, it becomes clearer that the main motive is profit, and the ethical reasons aren't going to match purely with any claims of loving Mother Nature and saving our planet. Corporations like Morgan Stanley and the Bank of New York love your money above all else.

And wasn't Morgan Stanley part of the large real estate collapse and bank bailout we all recently took part in, as taxpayers, whether we wanted to or not? Yes, I think so...

On top of that, the company is very new to the agricultural scene... which tells me that there's not much worldwide information available about any long term effects associated with any products sold.

Therefore, I'd rather take a wait and see attitude, myself. I've already been forced into paying for a few of their investors' unethical and dishonest gaffes on Wall Street... which places me even further away from ever putting faith in what they have to say.

So, I'm sorry... but I'm just not buying into it.