Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athenian_gw

Horse trough as a giant EarthTainer

Athenian
11 years ago

I'm so excited about my debut experience with the EarthTainers that I'm thinking about how I can use the method in a bigger area. I was thinking about a wicking bed but I think that would take more to set up and maintain over the years than I'll be able to manage on my own

I was surfing around and found an article about "Horse Trough Gardening". Has anyone actually done this?

Athena

Here is a link that might be useful: Horse Trough Gardening

Comments (8)

• rosiew
    11 years ago

Athena, thanks for the link. Have you done any pricing? I'd like to know the cost per unit. Not cheap, I know, but really durable. Should last many, many years.

Rosie

• howelbama
    11 years ago

I have seen it done, my only concern would be how hot the silver metal can get in the summer sun. But in know people do use them both as standard containers and converted to large swcs.

• Athenian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked at prices for horse troughs but haven't done any real costing yet. I'm in an urban area and will have to look for a farm supply place somewhere. As far as I can tell, the price of the trough itself is comparable to using plastic bins on a square foot basis but the cost of shipping is horrendous.

I need 4-6 troughs and I figure it would have to be a multi-year project year project get them installed; the first step being to grade and gravel the sites for these things. Right now, my Earthtainers are sitting on makeshift levelers.

As a single woman of a certain age, I would like to cut down on the preparation that goes into my parents' in-ground garden each year. That's why I started my EarthTainer experiment. The horse troughs would not only provide a larger planting area, they would also be more attractive than a lot of plastic bins and could be a landscaping element. I was thinking that they could be surrounded by lattice fencing if necessary.

It's a project to consider...

Athena

• howelbama
    11 years ago

Athena, tractor supply company and Agway stock them. TSC usually has more options in stock size wise... Odds are, you have one or the other withina decent driving distance from you.

• Athenian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The closest TSC is 120 miles away. :(

I hope to find a farm/ranch supplier a bit closer. It will probably take me even longer to find a source for bark fines in the necessary quantity.

• dancinglemons
    11 years ago

Athena,

Thanks for the mention of lattice fencing. I have been looking for a way to hide my EarthTainers and other lovely containers. The lattice will be just the ticket!!

DL

• valentinetbear
    11 years ago

I haven't used a horse trough. (I doubt I could get one through my house, which is the only way to get stuff into my garden/backyard. lol) I have used much smaller galvinized tubs though, but for my prickly pear cactus. I don't dare use it for any plant that couldn't stand the heat. The prickly pear seems to like it. I've just reach the stage where I'm wondering what to do now that it is so full of prickly pear. ;)

• Athenian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You make jelly! We had it all the time when I was a child. I recall once eating some sort of prickly pear pie too ... but only once :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Prickley Pear Jelly