Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brussel Sprouts... in a container?

Posted by darahgardner PA (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 18:43

I love Brussels Sprouts and I desperately want to go them NOW!! So much so, that I planted seeds in the shed under the grow light and they are beautiful... unfortunately it is too sunny and warm to plant them in any of the beds... the porch stays quite a bit cooler then the air temp and gets NO sun... is it possible to grow them in a container on the porch??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brussel Sprouts... in a container?

Sure, why not.

o

I grew them in a 5 gal. container in the Fall. Watch out for aphids. They over-ran my crop.

Also, you may want to give them some support as they can get kind of top heavy.

o

I'm glad I found this thread because I have one last brussels sprout seedling that won't fit in the garden, but I do have an extra 5 gallon bucket. :)

But for the OP -- am I reading you right that you want to know if you can grow the sprouts in a container on your porch ... with no sun? If that was the question, then that won't work. The plants require full sun. Brussels sprouts are a cool weather vegetable, yes, so you want to time them so they mature in the fall and get a frost or two in before you harvest them. But they take months to grow, so you need to plant them in the garden during the summer months (in that warm and sunny bed) in order to get sprouts in the fall.

o

Sorry, I missed the "no sun" part. That might be a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here