Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkins?

Posted by jessica0224 z6 RI (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 05 at 18:47

Hello,
I'm brand new to the group and have a question already....my son brought a pumpkin plant home from cub scouts and it has sprouted and is growing like crazy. I don't have any land and have started a container garden this year, so is it possible to grow one pumkin seed/plant in a container? And if so, how big a container would I need?
Thank you!
Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkins?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 8, 05 at 23:17

You could probably do OK with a 5 gallon bucket. I would limit the fruits to 1 or 2, though. Make sure the soil drains well and be careful not to over-water. This will be your natural tendency. Stick a pencil full-length into the soil to check for need to water. If the pencil is damp, no watering necessary. I would also insert a wick into drain-hole for extra drainage until the plant is well established & showing signs of needing water daily.

Al

o

• Posted by silybum Sunset 16/8b CA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 9, 05 at 10:24

I just learned at a lecture this weekend, that pumpkins like to grow up tree's. So if you have a tree in a container already, just put it in the same pot. Plant it in a mound of compost. If not, add a trellis to your container and train it to grow vertical.

o

• Posted by cjm559 z5 Illinois (My Page) on
    Wed, May 11, 05 at 1:35

How many pumpkin plants can you reasonably put in a 5 gallon bucket? I am wanting the pumpkin plant's more for the pumpkin bloosoms to fry than letting come to fruit.

o

frying pumkin blossoms...very interesting...would love instructions on that.

Also wondering about growing pumkins vines on tree or trelis, is that only if you're not wanting to produce pumpkins? Seems like the pumpkin would be too heavy....

o

There's a picture in the Square Foot Gardening book of melons trained up supports, with the melons suspended from the trellis in slings made of pantyhose. Might work with a small enough pumpkin. Would be fun to try, what a marvel to have a big one suspended like that.

o

Pumpkin blooms, also squash blooms, are very good dipped in a Tempura like batter and then fried. Crisp and a real treat rather than onion rings. At my age, we use them as a garnish to be used as a treat. Adds much interest to the plate.

o

• Posted by cjm559 z5 Illinois (My Page) on
    Sun, May 15, 05 at 12:50

When I was younger we always had planted many many pumpkin plants just for the flowers each year to eat/ we sold the extra. I donot ever remember having pumpkins from them. Anyway You pull off the flower , pull out the stamin (?)and throw it away. You should only have the yellow part of the flower left. Rinse gently in water. Dip in egg, roll in finely crushed crackers and fry until just golden brown. Of course this is not heart healthy at all but sure does taste awfully good.
Cathy

o

Last year I grew cantalope on a tepee trellis.
I made a sling out of cheesecloth.
Sort of a hammock.
LOL

o

We had tempura pumpkin blossoms in Hawaii last year. They were awesome. I would love to have a recipe for them.

o

I am definately going to try pumpkins on a trelis. I love experimenting. Let you know how the blossoms taste. sounds good, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here