Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine Bark Mulch

Posted by bigpinks 6SCOhio (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 18:58

Been using the 5-1-1 for a coupla yrs with good success esp for eggplant and peppers. Today I opened one of those same bags after 2yrs in garage and it was all composted except for a few big hunks. Is this no good for the 5-1-1? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine Bark Mulch

Bigpinks,

I have some similar pine bark mulch that is also heavily composted, mostly fine material with maybe 25% actual pine bark remaining (see attached photo).

If I was using my composted bark to make 5-1-1, I would probably add 2 or 3 parts fresh pine bark to 1 part of this composted bark and eliminate the peat completely. The composted bark I have holds a significant amount of water so I would want to use the fresh bark help to improve drainage.

That is only my opinion, and others on the list might give you better information. It really depends on how much drainage you want, how composted your bark is, and what you wish to grow in your 5-1-1. But I would add at least consider adding some amount of fresh pine bark.

Hope that helps.

TYG

o
RE: Pine Bark Mulch

Thanx...I figured the total compost would not drain well enough but wasn't sure. I have a big side yd garden but am looking this yr to put a couple late tomatoes on the driveway to combat my early blight problem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here