Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Carrot info

Posted by King_Kale 7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 19:10

Hey all,

Have any of you ever grown carrots in containers? I have a nice, deep 18-gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck (24"x16"x16.5") that's just begging to have some root veggies planted in it. I want to grow average-size carrots (6-8") and I'm curious as to what some of your spacing methods were? Also your yield/success rates when growing in container. Please be as descriptive as possible, and of course pics would be awesome. Thanks!

This post was edited by King_Kale on Fri, May 24, 13 at 19:17

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Carrot info

I've never done it, but have to think results would be good. Since the container mix is as loose if not looser than garden soil, it seems like carrots should grow to their full potential easily. Normal spacing as stated on my seed package is 3". Of course I would probably try to crowd them a bit :-) Hopefully someone with actual experience will respond also.

o

Thanks ed. 3" of room seems to be the consensus, but I'm just like you. I always push the boundaries a little bit to see what I can get away with. Maybe 2" all around for me. I've also heard that incorporating sand in the potting mix creates structure for the carrot to grow straighter. Not sure what the ratio should be though.

o

I grow them in a raised bed. I thin to stand abut 2" apart. I grow 6" varieties. Did great last year!

o

Hi....I grew carrots at the end of last year/beginning of this year. I know you want to grow the longer carrots but I wanted to let you know that my short squat carrots came out great. I just sowed the seed on top of the soil. I had some smaller carrots and some regular sized since I didn't space them out but they were delicious. I grew the round Tonda de Parigi carrots. Now I have another batch growing plus a container of fingerling carrots. Jude

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here