Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comparison between large SWC and earthtainer

Posted by tnkrer (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 19:16

This year I built my first earth-tainer. Last year was my first year of container gardening and I had build a large SWC. (more details in this post - SWC Method for Large Container)

So I decided to compare both this year. I bought two pink brandywine plants (same height and health) and planted one in the earth-tainer and one in the large SWC. Both have same growing media, same fert. The earthtainer probably gets 30 more minutes of sun.

After 16 days, the tomato plant in the earthtainer is 4 inches taller than that in the large SWC. (16 inches to 12 inches). Also the early girl in earthtainer is growing with a lot more vigor than other tomato plants in the large container. So far earthtainer 1, my large SWC built on family handyman design - 0. If this pattern holds on .. the large SWC will be relegated to cukes and lettuce next year while I grow more crops in earthtainer ..

The large SWC does not have aeration holes and a lot more wicking area. May be that is the reason for better performance for the earthtainer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here