Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Snow peas wilting!

Posted by mollywk 5a (Montreal) (My Page) on
Fri, May 8, 09 at 19:23

Hi everyone,

I planted some snow peas recently in a wooden windowbox-type container on my back porch. They've been growing fine, and most of the shoots are a couple of inches tall now. A few days ago, though, I noticed that two or three of the newest shoots were wilting, and they don't seem to be recovering. The rest seem OK, though one or two look like they might have a wilted leaf or two as well.

What could the problem be? I'm in Montreal and it certainly hasn't been very hot yet. I've been watering them regularly.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Thanks a lot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Snow peas wilting!

A pic would help, but in general wilting is caused by not enough 'water pressure' inside the plant. If you have been watering them regularly it could be that the potting mix is holding too much water.

If so then the hair roots die and the plant becomes unable to take up the water even though the remaining roots are swimming in it.

I will leave it to you to determine if this is potentially the case. If so, stop watering and let the mix dry down.

o
RE: Help! Snow peas wilting!

Ah, sadly I don't have a digital camera. But they're not browning or yellowing, at least not initially, just wilting and not really growing at that point.

You could be right about the soil. I propped up the box a bit further up off the ground, and will take your advice about letting them dry out a little more before I water again.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here