Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beet stems weak and floppy (and wasting away)?

Posted by bellamama02 6a (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 19:43

I sowed them directly into my beds (Mel's Mix), just barely covered with soil, on April 19, so they're about 4 weeks old (took about a week to germinate). They're growing, but the stems are very floppy, and on many of them, right at the top of the soil level, the stem is blackening and thinner than the rest of the red portion of the stem.

I water every day in the early morning, when they're still in shade.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beet stems weak and floppy (and wasting away)?

My guess too much water

o

Yeah, sounds like over watering to me too. You should not need to water every day this early in the season, even in Mel's mix. Stick your finger in up to the first knuckle, if there is some moist soil sticking to your finger, you should be good on water... You may need to water a bit more often when the seeds are germinating because they don't have any roots to absorb the moisture from deeper in the soil, but once the plants have some good roots, you should not water as often. Mel's mix does dry out kind of quick, so in the heat of the summer you may need to water daily, and definetly use lots of mulch.

o

I agree with the too much water....might be damping off. Also, beets in general IMO are kind of a pain. I've grown them successfully, but have learned that I need to plant them very densly, and gradually thin them over a period of a few weeks. A lone beet seedling is very vulnerable. Also constant hilling of the row to keep them sturdy. I love them, but don't mess with beets much, or carrots either anymore. Maybe when I'm retired......just too much work for now.

o

Forgot to come back and say thanks for the replies. It's funny, I thought overwatering too, but then the day after I posted this, it started raining heavily and did so off and on for a few days. When the sun finally came out again, the beets had grown like crazy and the stems were thicker than before! Even my husband remarked on the monster beet plants (he's dying to get at the greens, but I want the beets!). So I have no idea. I did pull the ones that had the blackening stems--maybe I just culled the weak ones and the rest are stronger?

I didn't know that about hilling them--I thought that would rot the stem. I'll do that as they get bigger and seem to need help.

Thanks for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here