Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mysterious liquid-filled yellowish balls in soil

Posted by snoop92 (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 19:50

Hi everyone....

While I was adding soil amendments to the soil in my earthtainers from last year, I noticed a lot of hard pale yellowish/orangish balls in the old soil. When squeezed, the ball cracks and liquid comes out.

Does anyone know what these are? I'm hoping it is benign. I mixed new soil with this old soil, in accordance with the earthtainer directions.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mysterious liquid-filled yellowish balls in soil

I have seen this in store bought mix before ,don't know what it's called ,but it is added to retain moisture .So it was in there last year too .

o

Possibly/probably a slow release fertilizer.

Josh

o

Yep, I'd guess a slow release fertilizer prill, too. You'll find them in some potting mixes, and in plants purchased from the nursery. The yellow color comes from the sulfur sprayed on in the manufacturing process.

Not all prills are yellow, though. Different manufacturing processes make a difference, as does a color 'coding' associated with how many months the product is supposed to last. You'll often find green prills in the containers of woody plants. It can last up to 12 months.

o

I agree with rhizo. If you find them close to the top of the soil and they are more translucent they may be snail eggs. When bringing potted plants into your garden it is a good idea to scratch around the surface of the soil to make sure you are not bringing more snails into your garden. Al

o

I think those are some eggs, too. What does it say on the new soil bag? If this is something added for additional moisture, I think it would say so on the bag. If it popped up in your own garden soil that you've had for a while, - it's a pest.
Ingrid

o

I still think fertilizer.
Slow release fertilizer is commonly added to bagged soils...moisture retention pellets are not.

Also, if you squeeze a snail egg, guts shoot out.
A picture, of course, could put the question to rest.

Josh

o

We get questions every year about 'eggs' in the potting soil. They all turn out to be Osmocote, or other product.

o

I have also seen these "eggs" in potting soil. Sometimes they are Osmocote but that will eventually dissolve. The ones that stick around are a polymer water retention bead.

I agree, a picture would help to identify.

o

Yes, I agree that a picture would help to solve the mystery.

These balls are about the size of a pencil eraser..a tad smaller than that, and seem to be dispersed all throughout the soil. They have a hard exterior and when squeezed, crack easily and clear fluid comes out that looks like water.

I will try posting a picture soon.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I was wigged out when I saw these things everywhere and was/am really hoping it's not something alive and gross, especially since I mixed in new amendments to this existing soil.

Thanks again.

o

Hehe while taking the soil out of a pot left over from the previous house owners I found lots of little yellow balls towards the bottom. I of course pinched one cause I thought they were solid. Talk about freaked out! I had to set that pot aside for a little bit because in my mind it was some alien type of egg lurking in my garage. (I watch a lot of horror movies LOL)

o

could be any of the above - or slug eggs.

o

Slug eggs the size of a pencil eraser ? Bring a saddle

o

here in the seattle area - yes.

o

i think they are moth eggs. last year when i planted indoor spring plants with fresh bags of soil, i too noticed these orbs. i squeezed one and saw the same thing. later into the season, all of a sudden, there were moths in my house. i then went to the plants and expelled as many as i could find of the orbs that appeared more and more frequent at the top of the soil. you'll notice they slowly creep up to the top of your soil after plantings. this is because the moth fetus move around in the orbs making them come up to the top.

every bag of fertalizer i've used has them. you just have to pick them out by hand and discard them before they hatch.

o

Its either, Snail, Moth, or earthworm eggs, My best guess is that its earthworm eggs

o

Ok is this the same thing everyone is talking about?? I have a spot in my yard that everytime I plant something in here it dies! Today I planted a Knockout Rose bush in this "haunted" space and dug out all the old dirt and the deeper I dug, the more of these beads were showing up? If you pop it, it has a milky white liquid in it..are these beads what is killing all my plants in this space??

o

I have the exact same yellow balls in my indoor plant. Do you know what they are? Any information will be helpful. thank you

o

I had the same thing today. Mine was smaller and much brighter yellow. Cant be fertilizer as I found it in the pine bark I bought a while ago and they said they don't add fertilizer to the bark. Only to the completed mix in the end.

o

For those of you who want to find an ID for whatever it is in your containers, you'll need to let us see some pictures!

I have attached several images of what Osmocote (or other SRF brand) prills look like in varying stages of 'swelling'. It is very easy to see why they are so easily mistaken for an egg.

Here is a link that might be useful: fertilizer prills

o

Seems like some of this CRF takes YEARS to "release." I swear I am still finding fertilizer 'balls' of various sizes and colors, two to three years later. Some of the CRF nurseries use is practically indestructible :-)

o

My thinking is a CRF ball will be hardish. This yellow BB gun size balls is a shell with juice when squashed. Its definitely some kind of egg.

o

Yeah, I'm sure that you are right about them being eggs. Now I am going to be more vigilant than ever and squish every one I see and fertilize my containers with them too :-)

o

Put some in a plastic container with holes and put them in a warm shady spot to see if anything hatches out. Most insect eggs will hatch out within 10 days (just pray they aren't 17 year cicada eggs!)

After Identifying the hatchling and treat for whatever is laying all those eggs.

o

SLUG eggs

no doubt

they can be hard, soft, clearish. Clear ones are ready to hatch.

Bug getta from lowes is a good product. best if spread around before mothers day in midwest.

I grow hostas. these are slug eggs

˘.˘ --~

dave

o

They vary in size between 2-3 mm. I have read all replies and am still confused as to what they are!

o

Photo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here