Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think I overcrowded my lettuce and arugula

Posted by loveisblind1 10 (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 19:53

I made a newbie mistake and crowded my lettuce too densely. I didn't realize but the seeds can produce full size leaf lettuce such as Tango, Red Oak, Black Seed Simpson. SHould I thin out the seedlings or transplant them? Or can they still grow with this much room. Same with my arugula which haven't really grown much in days:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lettuce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think I overcrowded my lettuce and arugula

Argula, (sorry I don't know how to use the picture feature)

Here is a link that might be useful: Arugula

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Fri, May 18, 12 at 23:25

You can leave lettuce & just keep cutting young leaves & use in salad as mesclun mix. Cut with scissors leaving just the centre leaf or two, and it will regrow at least 2, maybe 3 times.

...or you can carefully transplant seedlings.

If you decide to thin out, just cut the extra seedlings at soil level with scissors - and use these to make salad.

o

Yeah that is way too close.

I thin to about 4-6" apart.

This was 19 days ago.

Photobucket

This is today.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Do I just cut some of the lettuce down to soil level to try to thin my leaves?

o

Cut few of the leaves off the lettuce plants to use in salad, even daily. As long as you leave the centre, they will keep growing new leaves. If you want to eliminate plant alltogether, cut off completely at soil level.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here