Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normansfarm

Flower in container basics

NormansFarm
9 years ago

Ok I really don't have any experience trying to keep flowers in containers. After a week the flowers I planted on my back patio are already starting to wilt. I think I went wrong using top soil I had instead of potting mix. Can anyone give me some basic advice or website for information?

What size containers should I use?
What type of soil is best?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• garden_views
    9 years ago

For economy, I do a 50/50 blend of MiracleGro potting soil and soil from the yard to fill flower containers. I use a container that is at least 2 inches wider than the root ball of the plant. Set the plant so the top of the root ball is level with the top of the soil in the container. Match the sunlight requirements of the plant to the sunlight that hits your patio, eg., full sun, part shade, shade, etc. If in a sunny location, you may need to water the plants daily. If in the shade, water less often.

• NormansFarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very helpful. I changed out the soil and they already look better. Thanks

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

generally the bigger the pot the better-potting soil for the top layer is a must-i almost never deliberately change potting soil-some of it has been around for 20 years-fertilize with half strength miracle gro once a week-most important relax and enjoy

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Top soil and MiracleGro potting soil are not meant to be used for containers. You can see that on the MiracleGro website. They will cause drainage problems and can turn to muck if you water too much or concrete if you fail to water enough. If you just want to buy something you can use straight out of the bag, choose their potting MIX without moisture control. There are other, better soilless mixes in garden centers, or if you really want to do right by your plants, read the Container Soils -- Water Movement and Retention thread on this forum. If you can find pine bark fines for the 5-1-1 mix described in that thread, you will save money and grow great flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: MiracleGro potting mixes

• garden_views
    9 years ago

@Ohiofem, could you please clarify your statement that MiracleGro is not for containers? By definition, MicracleGro POTTING mix is for pots (containers). The link you sent tells us to use MicracleGro "when potting or repotting indoor or outdoor plants in containers." The same website says "Not for in-ground gardening use." Perhaps you are recalling the latter quote?

9 years ago

I was mistaken in referring to MG garden soil as potting soil. I was trying to make a distinction between their garden SOIL, which is labelled as not being intended for containers, and their potting MIX, which is intended for use in containers. I linked to the mix because I was recommending using that instead of their soil. It is often hard for people to tell the difference between their products without closely looking at the label. The MG garden soil label says: Not for use in pots or containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: MiracleGro Soils

• garden_views
    9 years ago

Thank you, Ohiofem, for the explanation. I see we both slightly twisted the words. Around here, the potting mix is called potting soil, thus my terminology. I can see how you picked up on the word "soil" in my reference. Although I have never used MG soil (nor have I seen it at my local rural garden center), I appreciate hearing from you that it is not designed for container gardening so I won't be tempted to pick it up. So, @Joey83: for container gardening, use MiracleGro potting mix, not MiracleGro soil, which is just for in-ground use.

• howelbama
    9 years ago

There is a MG potting soil, and a MG potting mix. The potting soil is intended to be MIXED with something like perlite before being used in a container. These products are separate from the garden soil they also sell...

Other manufacturers also make potting soils and potting mixes.

It's not an "around here" thing.

9 years ago

Unfortunately the big box stores around here sell both the mix and the soil, and often put them near each other.

In the discussion of MiracleGro I forgot to add that Many people on this forum also think using top soil in containers can cause problems, especially drainage problems.