Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone tried the self watering Plant Spa by Misco

Posted by Remodeller none (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 20:35

I got a smaller 9.4' diameter x 7.25' height Plant Spa pot for like $3 at Walmart- gonna start my Cilantro with it. I attached a pic of a much larger one that I may get if the small one works. The concept is very similiar to the EarthTainer. Also put a link to their website- I think Target carries them too. If you have used these pots would love to hear your feedback thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone tried the self watering Plant Spa by Misco

Here is a pic of how the system works- I like the idea of always knowing instantly how much water is in it- not sure how visible it will be with my improvised Mosquito Screen though. I'll try posting the website link again too- just to the home page this time, not the specific product page

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Spa Company Home Page

o

I planted some basil in a similar pot last year... I didn't water from below, but liked the large saucer for containing the runoff. (My downstairs neighbors don't appreciate the drips from my garden.) The plant did not do well, and when I finally gave up and pulled it out, the roots were totally rotten. Letting the roots just sit in a puddle of water doesn't promote healthy growth above the soil.

I planted cilantro in that same pot this year, in Al's 5-1-1 soil mix. I water the plant, and then make sure to tip out the excess water so the roots don't get mushy.

o

I have tons of these pots in varying sizes. My spider plants love them. I have not had problems with soggy roots.

These are designed for water from below, not the top. I have stopped watering from the top for almost all of my plants (I don't keep succulents in this type of pot). You still need to be mindful of how much water your specific plant needs and how often to water it.

o

I have several of those. Once the drain saucer is removed, they are great pots because of the shape at the bottom and wonderful amount of holes. Understanding your motivation behind wanting this would help to steer you in a better direction, regarding having healthy plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here