Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

Blueberries for containers?

barb_roselover_in
11 years ago

I have heard that there are some kinds of blueberries that are suitable for containers. Do any of you have information on this? Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)

• captiveroots
    11 years ago

blueberries are perfect for containers. I had them on my "to do" list this year until I ran out of space!

I know that there are other threads on growing blueberries in containers on these forums; you just have to dig a little. From what I remember reading, it is actually easier to grow blueberries in containers than in the ground, due to their soil requirements.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Hi barb,
    Some small ones for your Zone 5 (right?) are Northblue(2-3 feet),Bluegold and Chippewa (3-4 feet)and Northcountry,Northsky and Tophat(18"). Brady

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Went to a nursery today but all they had were the ones that you have to plant in the ground. Where can I get any of those that do well in containers? Any advice as to where I can order? Thanks.Barb

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Check around online.Gurney's has Northsky and Tophat,Looks like a minimum of three for Tophat.
    Raintree has Chippewa,Northsky and Tophat.
    Burnt Ridge has Northland,Chippewa and Tophat,plus a few others that may work. Brady

• nycgarden
    11 years ago

I can highly recommend Nourse farms:
    http://noursefarms.com/category/blueberries/

I ordered my raspberries from them a couple of years ago. They sell multiple varieties of blueberries, but I think they have a min. order of 5.

• wetjackson
    11 years ago

I purchased 20 plants from an excellent nursery this spring call St Lawrence Nurseries. They are in Potsdam, NY and the plants are hardy to Zone 3. I received 5 Patriot, 5 St Cloud, 5 Northland, and 5 Friendship, and they are all doing excellent.
    {{gwi:32337}}
    I used the 3:2:1 ratio and they are doing great so far. I used wicks rather than a cup and the jury is still out on how effective this will be. We have been getting enough rain that it hasn't been an issue yet.
    {{gwi:32338}}

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

I have 2 different types growing in 15 gallon pots.
    I am told it is best to grow 2 different types together and you get more berries.

One is up front in this picture, the other is right behind it in between the two tomato plants but both are growing like weeds and have 100s of berries on them already.

I planted these 2.

Sunshine Blue
    is perfect for small spaces and containers. This evergreen, 3 ft. tall shrub, sports showy, hot pink flowers followed by large, sweet berries with a delicious tangy flavor. Sunshine Blue fruit begins ripening in mid-summer and continues over a period of about two months. Will set fruit alone, but the berries will be more prolific if it is planted near another blueberry; we recommend Bountiful Blue.
    Light: Full sun to part shade
    Size: 3-4 feet

Bountiful Blue
    winner of "Best Edible Plant" at the 2011 Farwest Show, has a prolific fruit set of large, super sweet berries and the bluest foliage on any Blueberry we have ever seen. Will set fruit alone, but the berries will be more prolific if it is planted near another blueberry; we recommend Sunshine Blue. A standout in the landscape or in a container.
    Light: Full sun to part shade
    Size: 3-4 feet

{{gwi:30714}}

• 2Dog1CatMom
    11 years ago

We decided to try planting blueberries this year and ended up with 6 bushes rather than the 3 I originally planned on! Two each: "Patriot" (early), "Blue Crop" (mid), and "Jersey" (late). One set is 1 year old plants, the other 2 year old plants.

Because we got a little over zealous in our gardening plans this year AND ended up with double the berry bushes, I'm starting them out in half-barrel containers. The plan now is to move them to raised beds in the fall as we don't have a place to overwinter the containers.

I would love to hear if anyone has experience with these types. All of the plants have some berries set on.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

2Dog1CatMom,
    If they are in half whiskey/wine barrels,they should be fine all year in them.There is a guy in Spokane,WA that said his barrels freeze solid but come back every Spring.
    I have one small Bluecrop planted in the ground last year and two Jerseys in containers and they are doing well. Brady

• 2Dog1CatMom
    11 years ago

Thanks Brady! I've been reading more & more about people having luck with leaving them in the barrels year round. Depending on what other trouble (lol) we get into this year, we may just forgo the raised beds.

• capoman
    11 years ago

I have mine in raised beds that are doing great. Several different varieties including Bluecrop. I prepared the bed with a combination of native sand, peat, compost and sulphur. I planted 6 months later. I mulch with pine bark, sawdust and spruce cones/needles. Plants are very happy. I also grow things in containers, but thought it best to do blues in raised beds due to their potential size.

• ethel_o
    11 years ago

What size container would be the best for a Tophat?
    The one I had did not live to see Spring. If I get a replacement, I want to do it right. Ethel

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Just one Tophat ethel?Probably around 3 gallon or maybe a little bigger. Brady

• barb_roselover_in
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got a Cherokee and an Elliott. I need some info on these. I am going to put them in a bigger container. What kind of soil do I use? Somewhere I got the idea it needs acidic fertilizer--am I right and how much? Any other hints? They both have berries on them. Do they produce more than once? You are never too old to learn new stuff--right? Thanks so much. Barb

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Barb,
    Cherokee Blueberry?That's a new one on me.There's a Cherokee Blackberry that's thornless.Maybe that's what yours is or it was possibly mislabeled.
    The Elliot is a Northern Highbush and is almost the latest ripening variety.It could fruit into October,depending on location.Most Northern Highbush only have one crop.Down South,some Southern Highbush can get two.
    The 5-1-1 mix discussed on this forum will work for Blueberries.I use Jack's Acid Classic or a small amount of Ammonium Sulfate for fertilizer.An organic feed can be used, made up of hydrolyzed fish fertilizer, liquid kelp and blackstrap molasses.
    I'm don't know the age of your Elliot,but they can get six feet tall. Brady