Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnkrer1

2nd year of vegetable gardening and my first earthtainer

Moz Tn
10 years ago

This is my second year of gardening and first year to plant in an earthtainer. Thanks Raybo for a great guide. I have planted some different variety of tomatoes this year. We had planted husky cherry and roma tomatoes last year and didn't really find those exciting.
Howelbama had suggested sungold, instead I have planted a sunsugar. I am adding a black cherry, yellow pear, pink brandywine and early girl to the mix. I am hoping that these would be more "exciting" in taste. Also adding chard (two types and in ground not container) this year.

Next year, planning to start from seeds. I hope to keep increasing the number of plants and types of vegetables every year .. Hopefully in year 10 of my gardening, I will have a greenhouse :)

Comments (4)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Good luck. I have never seen that done. It looks nice and interesting. I am trying something a little different this year for the first time.
    {{gwi:1141}}
    SKYSCRAPER EGGPLANTS

{{gwi:32365}}
    SKY SCRAPER PEPPER PLANTS
    {{gwi:1142}}
    SKY SCRAPER PEPPER PLANTS

• Moz Tn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a very interesting way to build your container. Are those cans soldered together? Will that be sufficient when the plant grows? They will need to find a new place soon ..

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Hi tnkrer: --- NO SOLDER OR GLUE IS USED

The cans have drainage hole punched in the bottom of the first can. both the second and third cans have the top and bottoms removed. I use a furnace workers crimping tool to decrease the diameter of the lower rim so that it fits into the can under it. the cans have an edge seam on each end of the cans. when the cans are pressed together they snap into place and do not come apart.

the 3 cans amount to about 2 and 2/3 gallons. This should suffice. As long as I keep the plant to a moderate size and keep it well watered it should do well. Watering in the morning allows the plants surface to dry out so mold doesn't set in. This is my first year of this and I am doing this with tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, squash, and watermelons. This will boost the plant's foliage above the soils splash distance and will control things like fusarium wilt from setting in. I will be able to garden with out sprays and poisons. Only the peppers and eggplants will have bottoms on there towers. The others will be bottomless so the roots can pass through into the main soil bed. The system will be improved and will be done to the specs called for from this experiment.

{{gwi:32366}}
    Over view of the solderless assembly

{{gwi:32367}}
    dimple caused by crimpers that allow the cans to snap together

{{gwi:32369}}
    4 of 5 figs visible on my hardy chicago fig tree

{{gwi:32371}}
    Fig tree in 5 gallon bucket

{{gwi:1912}}
    left to right nagami kumquat, meiwa kumquat tree grown from seed

{{gwi:32373}}
    300+ holes 1/10 inch to aerate the root base. Just run your hand lightly around the pot. This depresses the wall a small amount the replace stale air and hold down molds.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The peperplant above in the 3 stack of gallon food tins was too tall for best results. I should have used 2 cans. The plants and cans had to be staked or the plants would tip over and break out of their container. 2 cans was tall enough to get over top of the melons and sweet potato plants. It is also best that the plants be in position before the roots reach the bottom of the can and start wrapping or the roots don't start up and go into the base soil