Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gman68558

Earthgro Decorative Groundcover Bark (pic)

gman68558
15 years ago

{{gwi:32432}}

So does this look like it would work for the bark component of the mixes? Outside of the outrageously expensive orchid fir bark this appears to be the only other option here in So Cal that I've found. Although there are a couple of other Earthgro options that look similar (Western bark, All Natural Mulch).

All the package says is "Forest products", so is there any way to know what it's made from? Or how much it's composted (if any)?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• justaguy2
    15 years ago

Size wise, some of it is about right, the rest too large. You would find it retaining very little water.

Forested products are just that. Bits and pieces from the forest, no telling what is in it other than it isn't all bark or from appropriate trees.

In short, I would not use it in a container. I am sure someone here in your area knows of a source for pine bark fines. Hopefully they will be along soon.

• gman68558
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input JAG.

I already mixed up a batch a couple of days ago so I will probably give it a go with a couple of peppers and maybe a tomato.

Seems to be holding water okay though. I did soak the bark overnight before mixing. Maybe I will add another portion of peat. Seems like that would help in the water retention area.

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

I've got some of this stuff in pots right now. I bumped the peat up just a little bit. Seems to be retaining water nicely so far; of course drains very well.

Cheers

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

If you have a home depot, I would go and buy 1/2-1 inch space holed screen, or fencing, and screen out the larger pieces and save what's left over, the smaller peices..:-)..Works for me. Keep smiling!!

• gman68558
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just thought I'd update this thread.

Actually, the couple of containers I tried with this stuff have turned out to be some of my most successful. Here's an 18 gallon container with two tomato plants (Goose Creek and Prudens Purple):
    {{gwi:32433}}
    The leaves at the top are not yellow, that's just the sun hitting them. Of all my tomatoes in various potting mixes, this one appears to be the healthiest, in spite of the overcrowding. Here's a picture of some of the fruit:
    {{gwi:32434}}
    Anyway for those who may be having a hard time finding the pine fines, and have an OSH store nearby, this product appears to work fine. Oh, I believe I did throw in an extra portion of peat to help in the water retention area.

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

BRAVO!!! Plants look great!

Like I said in my earlier post to your question, I'm using some of the same stuff, too. As long as you recognize the limitations based upon the varying particle size, and adjust accordingly, this stuff will function just fine; esp. for veggies/annuals. Believe it or not, I even have some desert succulents in this stuff, and they seem to be loving it (though I know I can do even BETTER with some other media!)

Cheers!!!

• liz_h
    15 years ago

Your plants look great! Are they simply tied to the fence for support?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner