Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_tennessee

vine for containers

karen_tennessee
12 years ago

I have a wood fence that I use 15 feet for growing vines. There are four 1/2 barrels in which I have two v shaped wood trellis at each end and over the center section I use 50 lb fishing line for a trellis. I have planted Hyacinth Bean Vine there for years, but wanted something different. I have asked questions on the vine forum but still am not sure which vine would be best. Could I please get some suggestions as to what to plant besides morning glory.

With your suggestion could you please tell me if I should use M Grow or just plain potting soil. Also how many seeds/plants for each barrel. I think I have everything covered as far as questions and would like to thank you in advance for you help.

Karen

Comments (2)

• jodik_gw
    12 years ago

Cup & Saucer Vine is a beautiful alternative, with lovely cup shaped purple blooms... mina lobata, commonly known as Spanish Flag, is another lovely annual vine. Morning Glories come in so many colors that you could really make a nice statement with an assortment of colors. Hops can be a lovely vine to grow... cardinal vine, cypress vine, hyacinth bean, nasturtium, scarlet runner bean, sweet peas are a few suggestions... thunbergia, also known as black eyed susan vine is a swift grower...

Or.. if you wanted to go with a perennial, Trumpet Vine, a rambling or climbing rose, Honeysuckle, climbing Hydrangea, an Ivy...

Your choices are quite vast, really... and it's all dependent upon the amount of light you have to work with. Your zone would probably allow you to grow perennial vines without too much trouble with protection.

As for medium, I'm a big believer in using a more durable, free draining medium in containers... you'd have excellent success with vines or any plant if you used something like Tapla's 511 Mix, described in the link below.

If you make the effort required to begin with a good durable, free draining medium, and you keep the vines fed well all season, they'll develop healthy root systems, which will in turn make for healthy canopies and blooms on them, covering that fence in no time!

When it comes to annual vines, I usually plant groups of 2-3 seeds, just in case they don't all germinate... and in a half barrel, I'd probably plant 3 or 4 groups of 2-3 seeds toward the back of the barrel next to the fence, leaving a small area toward the front to stuff with other trailing or contrasting annuals... such as something in a complimentary color, or something like Dusty Miller or Euphorbia, or perhaps you could stuff a Daylily or other perennial in... like Creeping Jenny...

The sky's the limit, really... what colors do you see when you close your eyes and imagine what it would look like? Browse your local garden center for plant ideas... or use Google to see images of annual vines mixed with other plant types.

I hope this helps you somewhat... my personal favorite annual vine is Cup & Saucer.

Happy Gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention 13

• mea2214
    12 years ago

This may be late but look into moonflowers. The foliage looks like morning glories but the flowers are big and white and only bloom at night which is kind of neat. The seeds are a little high maintenance to get going. Once you get a few going it's really easy to collect seeds for next year.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting