Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I add to my commercial mix?

Posted by chjpeter Oregon (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 21:10

I have access to free commercial mix and would like to use in my newly assembled earthtainers. This mix I have contains the following:
Forest humus
Chicken manure
Rice hulls
Worm castings
Bat guano
Kelp meal
Oyster shell
Dolomite
Mycorrhizae

Ive read a great deal here about making mixes from scratch but I would like to try and modify what I have access to for free. Looking to grow tomatoes and bell pepper in these earthtainers.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I add to my commercial mix?

What you have sounds like a soil ammendment, not a potting mix. 3:2:1 like Raybo's earthtainer mix is mostly peat, with pine bark fines and perlite, and usually has none of the ingredients you list. The light texture is required to wick water upward. Since you aren't willing to spend money, what free ingredients do you have available that are similar to the ingredients in 3:2:1?

o

I will spend money. I phrased my post wrong. I the commercial product I have was free so I'd like to use it. Im ready to spend some money to amend it.
Thanks,
Christian

o

Throw in some rock dust or Greensand for trace elements.

o

I will spend money. I phrased my post wrong. I the commercial product I have was free so I'd like to use it. Im ready to spend some money to amend it.
Thanks,
Christian

o

It certainly has enough ingredients, and if they are in the correct proportion, should do wonderfully well for what you are intending to grow. Al

o

Sounds like a very very rich mix. Is it light and porous? It sounds like it would compact rather quickly.

Please, let us know what you decide to do and how your plants turn out :)

o

Thanks for the replies everyone! So I went ahead and planted one earthtainer with my commercial mix straight up. I was happy to find it drains very well. The question remains how it will wick. I'll post updates. Thanks again!

o

I would be inclined to cut that at least 50/50 with peat moss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here