Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minnesota - pine bark fines

Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 21:38

Anyone near Brainerd, MN have a source for a PBF product suitable for 5:1:1 or gritty mix?

Al

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minnesota - pine bark fines

I don't know about way up north, but Gertens in the Twin Cities has finely ground bark (haven't opened the bag yet but it looks pretty fine. Menards down in Rochester had small pine bark nuggets but they're still too large and will have to go through the shredder.
I plan to sieve the ground bark using 1/2 inch mesh and 'shred' what's too large in hopes of reducing it.

If you haven't, you might want to post this on the Minnesota Gardening forum to find someone further up.
Will

o

Check out your Kmarts. I have been having excellent luck finding bark at them throughout WI and the U.P.

o

• Posted by wndy z4b (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 17:43

Ooh! I have had trouble finding PBF, thank you so much for answering Mantor--I'll look them up. Have only been to Home Depot & Bachmans so far and no luck. I picked up a MG "orchid mix" (basically large pieces of shredded bark) to make do, but I think a trip to this Gertens store is in my future :-)

o

Al,

Orchid Web / Orchids Limited according to their web site has both Orchiata and Rexius.

4630 Fernbrook Lane N. Plymouth MN 55446 U.S.A.
1-800-669-6006 1-763-559-6425

They are a bit pricey. It would be a couple hours drive. Twenty bags with careful placement will fit in a small pickup.

I was planning to drive there to get some until I found a wholesaler much closer that would sell to me.

Hope this helps.

Donnie Mac

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchids Limited

o

• Posted by wndy USDA z4b MN (My Page) on
    Fri, May 24, 13 at 13:05

Finally went to Gertens yesterday (they're on the other side of the Twin Cities from me) and picked up 2 HUGE bags of "mini nuggets" for $5.something each. They look to be PBF or close enough.

Today I am returning to Petco to return the $25 reptiBark I bought yesterday. I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Walmart and Petco looking for 1-1-1- supplies.

Gertens did not have any crushed stone for the mix though, in case anyone was curious. Napa Auto had the DE (turface sub) though.

Today I will hunt down some poultry grit for the final ingredient... thanks everyone for being so helpful here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here