Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flashau

Avocado in gritty mix

flashAU
10 years ago

I'm planning on re-potting an avocado in Al's gritty mix this weekend. I have my Turface, I have my "fines", I have my granite and I have my Dyna-Gro. When I get ready to re-pot, do I need to clean the "soil" off of the roots completely? I've read to keep it out of the sun while it adjusts, but other than that, I'm not sure what to do. I'm really pretty new to this, so any advice on this would be appreciated.

Also, I want to put it in a whiskey barrel. I know I need to drill holes for drainage, but how many and what size holes would be appropriate? Should I put landscape fabric in the bottom to prevent the mix from falling out? I'm really excited to try the mix. My poor avocado is not happy right now and I'm hoping the gritty mix will help the tree and will allow me to better take care of it.

I've also got a Meyer Lemon and Key Lime that I would like to do the same. The Meyer has lemons and I don't want to re--pot it right now because of that. When would be the best time to re-pot these?

Thanks,
Thomas...

This post was edited by flashAU on Thu, May 23, 13 at 15:35

Comments (4)