Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gretadoreen

5-1-1 variation for PNW?

gretadoreen
10 years ago

New to the forum, new to the 5-1-1 mix idea. I wonder if anyone would have time to suggest a recipe for my situation? HEre it is:
I live in the Pacific NW, so, rainy for a long winter and dry for 3 months in summer. On top of that, I have an uncovered deck with a wall of glass windows. This makes my micro climate windy and wet in winter while summers are really hot and exposed all day. My corkscrew willow makes it through with Ednas soil and 2x daily watering (Edna's is very moisture retentive, I'd say). By the end of summer everything on the deck is on it's last legs; fall comes just in time.

I have to repot now (a bit late) and am trying to figure out a way to incorporate some of the principles of the 5-1-1 mixes (good for roots, etc, & long lasting) without having to water more than once a day (except the willow). The 5-1-1 mix worries me in that I wonder if I'll have to water even more. I was wondering about adding Turface to it, thinking that it would add to the moisture retention AND maintain drainage and longevity. ???

I also need to repot an Italian Cypress which is really suffering -turning yellow and brown. Root bound and needs nutrition as well as new soil.

So, those are two plants that are on different ends of the spectrum in terms of moisture needs. If anyone would have time to suggest a recipe for those two, I may be able to figure out how exactly to tweak your recipe for other things.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Rachel

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting