Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe1980_gw

Veggies in turface/calcined clay??

Joe1980
12 years ago

Ok, so I've been thinking. Seeing veggies like moisture, and in this case I've got jalapeno peppers on my mind, would there be any benefit to growing in 100% turface, or to keep costs down, calcined clay, particularly the Napa floor dry 8822? If I were to use the 8822, it would be cheaper, provide good aeration, and hold moiture. Also, I'm thinking/hoping maybe even reusable year to year?? I'm using the 5-1-1 mix for 4 jalapenos right now, but I've been thinking a lot about using synthetic media to reduce waste. I just don't like the idea of tossing my 5-1-1 every year.

Also, for the gritty mix, I don't like the idea of pitching all the turface, grit, and bark every time I repot, simply because the bark is broken down. I fantasize about buying a bunch of synthetic media, and never having to throw it out and buy more. I don't know if it's futile, or if it's possible. I realize the Napa 8822 has a neutral PH of 7.0, and the turface in the 6.2 range, so I'm assuming with the 8822 I'd need some vinegar in my water to lower the PH. What are your thoughts out there??

Joe

Comments (6)