Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

container growing plants that like wet areas

Hi there, I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with. I love Cardinal flower (lobelia) Every year I plant it and it doesn't do well for me. I know it likes wet areas. Anyway while at a local garden center earlier this spring I saw they had some pots sitting in about 2" of water. The manager said they often grow them this way.

SO a light bulb went on, how about if I purchase a 12" deep liner for my whiskey barrel and plant in it? My thinking is to drill holes around the outside edge 2" to 3" Up from the bottom of the liner, so I can keep water in it but not drown the plants.

Here is my question, should I fill the tub with soil and plant in the soil? OR should I put the plants into larger (how large?) pots and just set them into the water? If I do the pots, any suggestions on how to make it look pretty? I was thinking I could put the pots into the the liner, then fill in and around them with gravel.

I am also thinking about doing this with my elephant ears and some siberian iris.

What do you guys think?

Jenny P

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living