Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redshirtcat

Earthbox or Earthtainer + 5-1-1 - Do I add the additional Lime?

redshirtcat
12 years ago

Al (or anyone with experience here?) I saw in a few very old posts that you suggested a 3-1-1 mix for SWC like the Earthbox or Earthtainer.

I've become quite comfortable making and using the 5-1-1 (thanks for all the help there, I have maybe 60 containers using 5-1-1 very well right now) - but I haven't tried any SWCs yet.

I made up a batch of 3-1-1 with 1 cup of lime (the usual rate for my batch size). My question is this: the Earthbox instructions say to take whatever potting mix we buy and add a large bag of (included) lime to it. Do you think this is necessary given that I've already added the usual amount?

I understand that you might not be an earthbox expert but can you see any reason why I might need more lime in this situation? Or do we think they are just assuming that most potting mixes do not include lime?

They also include a bag of fertilizer that they suggest we use in a "strip." I will probably use the strip in at least one earthbox to see how it goes - but can you see any reason why I shouldn't add my usual light dose of FP once or twice a week? Might it not work as well in an SWC/wicking situation?

Thanks!

Comments (3)