Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get more flowers on a French Lavender plant ?

Posted by Arehbella none (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 22:30

This is what mine looks like:

Photobucket

Just one sad little flower.I read your supposed to prune in the winter, but that has passed. This one is kept indoors becasue it's still chilly outside.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get more flowers on a French Lavender plant ?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 4, 12 at 7:40

The number of blooms increases as healthy plants mature. If you plan to keep the plant in a container, it would prefer that the container was outside in full sun whenever temperatures allow (above freezing). The size/age of the plant and how much energy it has to devote to reproduction (blooms) ultimately determines bloom profusion. Since any energy the plant makes comes from sunshine, you should be giving your plant LOTS of it - and not through a window.

Also, root maintenance, if the plant is to be left in the pot, is essential. You should let the plant go dormant over winter, lift it from the pot in spring, bare root/root prune it, and put it back in a/the pot to continue growing. If you don't maintain the roots, you can count on a plant limited in growth/vitality/bloom numbers.

The plant doesn't tolerate wet feet, so count on using a very fast draining soil. The gritty mix would be perfect for this plant, and would make repotting chores easy. A 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer (examples: 24-8-16, 12-4-8, 9-3-6) used regularly is a very good choice.

Al

o
RE: How to get more flowers on a French Lavender plant ?

I second Al's comments. I've given up on French Lavender and have had good success growing the English types in my gardens. I'll try to post photos as my younger plants come into bloom. I grew them from seed.

Lavenders are more Mediterranean in origin, I believe... so they do like a more dry, free draining soil. Wet feet will definitely not do them any favors. Also, when grown indoors, keep a close eye out for spider mites.

I would love to grow the French type... but it's simply too much work for me when combined with what I already have on my plate... so I've given in to the idea that if I want nice lavenders, I'll stick to the ones that are hardy to my zone, and I'll also grow Russian sage and other purple perennials to help echo that lovely color.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here