Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

A New Look For A Old Container~

jojosplants
12 years ago

My last visit to my mom's I noticed a empty container, plastic, Just sitting in her front yard.. Well mostly empty, it had a dead plant. lol...

I teased she should toss it. She wouldn't, my brother had given it to her, so she wanted to find new plants.

So I took the container, and gave it a fresh new look! And have some shade loving plants to put in it soon.

Here's the new look to it. It was just plain, terra cotta color.

{{gwi:33233}}

{{gwi:33234}}

I know mom will love it! I really like how it turned out to.

A can of textured spray paint for the base, a few stencils and other colors. Simple! ;-)

Now I have a bunch of my own to spiff up too!

And while I was feeling creative...

I decided to do something about the garden tools I am always losing!! Boy do they blend in when leaned up against a shrub! lol!!

No no more!

A little wild Duck Tape took care of the problem! ;-)

{{gwi:33235}}

{{gwi:33236}}

And,

Hubby won't be wanting to borrow them anymore. he he...

He takes the rake when he goes fishing, to clear the camp. So I'm home, time on my hands and no rake. lol... I've tired finding him his own, but no luck yet. So until then, I think mine is safe. ;-)

Do you have something in the yard or home for plants, you've given a new look to?

Or clever way to keep track of tools?

Please do share!

JoJocolor>

Comments (9)

• candogal
    12 years ago

JoJo - That looks nice! How sweet of you to do that for your mom.

To keep track of my tools, I make myself stick them by the front door, under the overhang. I think I can put the snow shovel away now - can't do it too early, or I'll tempt fate. :-) New Hampshire can get snow in April! Blech!

I like your rake, though. Both what you did to it and how it looks smaller than usual - handy! I was raking out my perennial beds today (can't do it too early so I don't tempt fate, either), and was lamenting how hard it is to get my big rake in there.

• haxuan
    12 years ago

That's very good looking pot, JoJo. I'm sure your Mom will like it.

Won't you plant something in it before bringing it back to Mom?

Xuan

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, JoJo, nice work!
    That's some crazy looking tape ;-)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hey Jojo, awesome! Talk about using your imagination. I just love it!

Your mom will be so happy!

Hi Haxuan, Josh,Condogal

Bravo

Mike

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HI Everyone!
    Thank you all for your kind words!

Candogal~ I like your idea of keeping track of tools. But with my luck, i'd trip over them and break my neck. lol!

I have a bad habit of jumping from one project to the next, or will come inside to do a few things... Next thing I know i'm looking for tools. lol!

We don't have snow shovels. But around here, if you wash your car, it will rain. And spot it all up of coarse. lol.

The rake is a small one. That's why hubby steals it for trips! My X-MIL got it for me years ago, in the 80's, and I haven't seen one quite like it since. I think it was called a Bed rake, and I used it around my roses. It's about 7" across at the base and a handle of about 4' tall.

Xuan~ Hello,
    Yes, I will put some plants in it. I have a little Hosta, it's in the picture with the rake, in a pot. And some coleus. My moms front yard faces North, So I got her some shade plants to try. I will post a picture when I get them in it. :-)

Josh~
    A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. LOL!
    Would you expect anything less from Me? ;-) lol..

Mike~
    I'm a "Crafty" person. ;-) Love crafts of all kinds! I have some old plastic pots around here that are too expensive to just throw away, so I will be painting them too. After they fall apart, it's terra cotta though. ;-) I may decorate a few of them too.

JoJocolor>

• bcskye
    12 years ago

Love what you did to your mother's pot and your rake. I am putting a lot of extra veggie plants in pots and think I will have to copy something like what you did to make the old nursery pots and others look a little nicer in the garden.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

The pot looks great, JJ - very attractive. I'm sure mom will be very pleased with your efforts on her behalf. ;-)

AL

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi bcskye,
    Glad you joined us!
    If you do decorate some pots, please come back and share them! I'd love to see what others do.

Here's mine complete with plants. I'm not sure I like how I have them situated, so if mom wants them moved around It won't be a problem.

{{gwi:33237}}

{{gwi:33238}}

And here's a use for a already decorated pot.. That my cat broke. lol..

It's now a toad house..

{{gwi:33239}}

And here's where I store my hand tools. When I can find them! LOL! They too will get the Special Tape. ;-)

{{gwi:33240}}

{{gwi:33241}}

And Old gloves become "Scare Crow's" in the shrubs. lol...

{{gwi:33242}}

O.K.
    Now that this has strayed off topic a little.. I hope others feel free to join in with decorated pots or other fun garden items!

JoJocolor>

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Al~
    Thank you :-)

I'm sure she will too. It's her "late" mothers day gift. She knew I had a plant for it, but does not know I was going to paint it. ;-)

Now I need to put together her birthday gift. She's getting one of the bay leaf tree's I bought and some herbs in a container. May is a busy month with mom. ;-)

I hope the Euphorbia "diamond dust" ( I believe) will be O.K. in this mix. It will be in bright shade, and is in the 5-1-1.

JJcolor>

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!