Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Wrong Lime in 5-1-1

Posted by jms83914 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 22:39

I was just careless... I have lawn lime and garden lime and added the wrong one in the correct amount. I remember reading that the Ca to Mg ratio had to be correct. The lawn lime appears to be a lot Mg to a little Ca. Can it be saved?

Thanks in advance

J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Wrong Lime in 5-1-1

I've never seen a lime product with too much magnesium and too little calcium (magnesium oxides and carbonates are much less common than similar calcium compounds).If you still have the package, post the listed mineral percentages. The different names of lime are so badly mixed up and unstandardized, it's really hard to know what to use sometimes.

If you used the correct amount of either lime, you likely just need to use epsom salts when you fertilize/water to provide the extra magnesium. You may not even need to do that, if your plant isn't particularly magnesium hungry. Veggies (especially tomatoes) and roses tend to enjoy magnesium though.

I wouldn't worry about the pH of the mix, it should be fine.

o
RE: Help! Wrong Lime in 5-1-1

"Lawn lime" might have weed killer in it. Be sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here